Tongaat mall: Construction shouldn’t have continued

Construction at a shopping mall in Tongaat, north of Duran, where a roof collapsed on Tuesday killing at least one person and injuring 29 others, should not have been taking place, eThekwini deputy mayor Nomvuzo Shabalala said.

"We took them [the contractors] to court a month ago. We thought they had stopped," she told reporters on the scene.

The reason the municipality took the contractors to court was because "they hadn't followed processes".

Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha said a concrete slab the size of a soccer field collapsed at the mall.

He said 50 people were feared trapped under the rubble.


Lieutenant Mandy Govender said one person died and 26 people were injured when the roof collapsed on Tuesday.

'Combing the area'
"Almost the entire area of the construction site in the mall is down," she said.

"We are still combing the area with sniffer dogs searching for survivors. All the workers are not accounted for at this stage. Emergency services are on the scene as we speak."

Botha said earlier that roads surrounding the construction site had been closed.

A South African Press Association reporter on the scene said hundreds of onlookers were standing at the edge of the cordoned off construction site.

Trains passing the mall had to slow right down as people were cleared from the railway line that borders the mall.

Fiona Moonean, whose house is located directly across the railway from the collapsed level of the mall, said she was washing dishes at the time of the incident.

She said that a few days earlier, workers had started removing the scaffolding supporting the level.

'Scaffolding fall'
"Just after 4.30pm it was a thunderous sound. Before the bang, I heard too much scaffolding fall. That's when I picked my eyes up [and looked through her window at the mall]. The whole concrete slab crashed down with the pillars. The smoke and dust was too thick. I heard them screaming out for help in Zulu."

She called the emergency services and a woman took down her details.

"She had to calm me down because I was so freaked out. For me, the most traumatic is the sound of the guys' voices. That is the part that plays in my head," she said. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Tongaat mall plans rejected four times

Earthworks plans for the Tongaat Mall, outside Durban, which partially caved in last year, were rejected four times, heard a commission of inquiry.

Fatal Tongaat mall collapse caused by missing steel

Missing steel bars needed to reinforce a beam holding a concrete slab at the ill-fated Tongaat mall were missing, an inquiry has found.

Inquiry commission investigates Tongaat mall collapse

A commission of inquiry will begin investigating events leading to the collapse of the Tongaat mall, which killed one person and injured dozens.

‘Singh company’ in social housing row

Internal auditors condemn massive state funding 
given to builder linked to Tongaat mall collapse.

Metro considers forced demolition of Tongaat mall

Following the fatal, partial collapse of a mall in Tongaat, the eThekwini municipality is considering trying to force the demolition of the structure.

Editorial: Colluding at the expense of the poor

Was it a surprise that a half-built shopping mall collapsed in Tongaat? No. Could it have been avoided? Yes.
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Fake trafficking news targets migrants

Exaggerated reports on social media of human trafficking syndicates snatching people in broad daylight legitimate xenophobia while deflecting from the real problems in society

It’s not a ‘second wave’: Covid resurges because safety measures...

A simple model shows how complacency in South Africa will cause the number of infections to go on an upward trend again

Trouble brewing for Kenya’s coffee growers

Kenyan farmers say theft of their crop is endemic – and they suspect collusion

Unisa shortlists two candidates for the vice-chancellor job

The outgoing vice-chancellor’s term has been extended to April to allow for a smooth hand-over
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday