To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
28 Nov 2013 18:16
Transport Minister Dipuo Peters announced that the e-tolling of Gauteng highways would come into effect on December 3. (Gallo)
The provincial transport department said on Thursday alternative routes would be maintained to prevent such roads from being degraded by over-use.
"The department ... will maintain the alternative provincial routes to an acceptable and safe level on an ongoing basis so as to obviate concerns that the secondary road network will be degraded through the anticipated increase in traffic volumes on these routes."
It launched a campaign on Thursday to make motorists aware of roads that could serve as alternatives to tolled routes.
Transport MEC Ismail Vadi said this was being done for motorists who could not afford e-tags.
"Today, the department will launch its campaign to popularise the alternative no-toll routes ... so that the public can exercise a degree of choice when using the provincial road network."
Vadi said the alternative routes included the R55 between Pretoria and Sandton and the N14 between Pretoria and Krugersdorp.
There were also the M1-R82 between Johannesburg and Vereeniging, the R103 between Johannesburg and Heidelberg, and the M57 between Pretoria and Kempton Park.
Last week, Transport Minister Dipuo Peters announced that the e-tolling of Gauteng highways would come into effect on December 3.
The move has sparked widespread opposition, with trade unions, and political parties vowing to explore all possible avenues to resist e-tolling. – Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?