Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Thousands of motorists have bought e-tags, says transport department

At least 21 000 motorists have bought their e-tags just after the commencement date of Gauteng's electronic-tolling system was announced, the transport department said on Sunday.

"In the midst of anti-tolling campaigns, motorists have still gone out in their numbers to prove that they are law abiding citizens," the department said.

It added that it was encouraged by reports of long queues at some e-toll outlets across Gauteng.

The South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) has indicated that at least 735 000 tags had been sold.

"Minister [Dipuo] Peters has equally commended those who have already registered, and are in possession of their tags, for doing the right thing."

Peters announced that e-tolling in Gauteng would begin on December 3.

Bill sent through post
Road users without an e-toll account, or a day pass, have a seven-day grace period to pay from the time he or she passed the gantry.

A bill would be sent through the post if the account was not paid within seven days, the department said.

"We are aware of campaigns discouraging people from registering and we wish to encourage motorists to not to pay attention to such." – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and receive a 40% discount on our annual rate..

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Standard Bank mulls over shareholder climate resolution ahead of AGM

Climate considerations are pressing Standard Bank shareholders to push for the recusal of those with fossil fuel ties.

NW Premier Mokgoro ‘meddles’ in contentious R1.5m HOD appointment

Provincial HOD hired despite implication in ‘jobs-for-pals’ probe involving former minister Faith Muthambi

More top stories

Sweeter local sales rescue sugar

The master plan to rescue the industry means that at least 80% of sugar consumption will come from South African farms and millers

Public works tables ‘solutions’ to botched Beitbridge border fence tender

Scopa ‘disappointed’ by slow pace and lack of consequences on Beitbridge irregularities.

ANC resolute over its step-aside decision: Duarte

The governing party has identified 40 members charged with serious crimes who will have to step aside

New Covid-19 variant in South Africa ‘of concern at a...

The Covid-19 B.1.617 variant, first detected in India, is now listed as one of concern, but the World Health Organisation says it does not doubt the efficacy of global vaccines
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×