Newcastle manager banned for seven matches
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was handed a seven-match ban by the English Football Association (FA) on Tuesday for head-butting an opposing player during a Premier League match.
The FA said Pardew will serve a three-match stadium ban before being suspended from standing on the touchline for the other four games.
The governing body fined Pardew £60 000 and warned him about his future conduct.
Pardew has been sanctioned already by Newcastle, accepting a formal warning and a fine of £100 000 pounds following his confrontation with Hull midfielder David Meyler on March 1.
"As I have made clear, I deeply regret the incident and again wholeheartedly apologise to all parties for my conduct, which I understand was not acceptable," Pardew said in a statement released by Newcastle after the FA hearing. "I will accept the punishment handed down by the FA today."
Setting a precedent
Pardew is the first Premier League manager to receive a stadium ban. Earlier this season, then-Blackpool manager Paul Ince received a five-match stadium ban from the FA for violently shoving a fourth official during a rant filled with profanity.
Meyler initially barged into Pardew as he looked to retrieve the ball for a throw-in in the 72nd minute of the game at KC Stadium.
Pardew squared up to Meyler and moved his head in the direction of the player's face, then was sent to the stands.
Pardew apologised to Hull and Meyler after the match. Police said no criminal action will be taken against him.
It is the latest touchline incident involving the hot-headed Pardew, who was banned for two matches last season for pushing a linesman and was warned about his conduct in January after abusing Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini in the technical area.
Pardew will not be able to attend Craven Cottage for Newcastle's match at Fulham on Saturday. He will also miss the home games against Crystal Palace and Everton. – Sapa-AP