Gauteng addresses hospital staff negligence

The Gauteng health department has implemented measures to limit medical negligence at its facilities, MEC Hope Papo said on Monday.

The department had focused on maternal care because most of the negligence cases occurred during childbirth, according to Papo.

"The department has begun the process of reviewing the midwifery practice standards to prevent further litigations and we are doing everything in our power to ensure that all public health facility users are not injured or harmed through the negligence of our staff."

Ongoing training was being provided at all facilities to improve attitudes and communication between staff and patients.

The department trained 188 doctors and 203 nurses in the 2012-2013 financial year to manage obstetric emergencies. Nurses were trained to use early warning charts.


In 2012, the department trained 120 nurses in midwifery, while 79 received training in advanced midwifery and neonatology.

Increased chances of survival
The training of nurses on neonatal resuscitation was done to improve the survival of babies and prevent injuries.

Papo said the department was in the process of establishing a multidisciplinary committee to consider preventative measures to curb the recurrence of serious adverse events.

Complaints included allegations of negligence, sexual assault, suicide and attempted suicide. Others were skills gaps, systems failure and errors.

"In the year 2012, 373 cases were recorded and between January and September last year, 532 cases were recorded. The majority of these cases were from our central hospitals – Chris Hani Baragwanath, 39; Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg, 25; Dr George Mukhari, 16; and Steve Biko Pretoria, seven," he said.

All reported cases were taken seriously and thoroughly investigated.

Disciplinary procedures
"Upon completion of investigations, the normal disciplinary procedures are followed," he said.

Some cases were referred to the South African Police Service and other statutory bodies for further investigation and recommendations.

Gauteng Democratic Alliance health spokesperson Jack Bloom said special attention should be given to hospitals with a high number of serious adverse events. 

"It is of great concern that negligence cases are rising rapidly," Bloom said. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Health workers fight without fuel

Community health workers are at the frontline of the fight against Covid-19 in Gauteng, but many have not been paid for months. Sarah Smit and Paul Botes talked to workers who spoke of their love for the job – and how that love has been trifled with

Gauteng responds to grave concern

The news of Gauteng’s grave site preparations raised alarm about the expected number of Covid-19-related deaths in the province

Africans flock, rather than take flight

Most people’s response is to flee or fight when faced with a problem, particularly an ongoing one, but in Southern Africa they work together

Include indigenous knowledge and cultures in the curriculum to improve health

A recent study revealed that indigenous people see the introduction of formal education as having brought ill-health

Pairing learning with food is a winning recipe

Much more support of homemade nutrition programmes is needed to ensure gaps are filled
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…