Amcu, Lonmin dismiss knowing about mineworker hit list
The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) and platinum producer Lonmin have denied knowledge of a hit list of miners who have agreed to return to work, City Press reported on Sunday.
The list, allegedly compiled by Lonmin, found its way to Amcu and the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and was apparently circulating in Marikana, North West. Amcu leader Joseph Mathunjwa said he knew nothing about the list.
“All I know is we are in a strike and we are conducting it peacefully. None of the members at the head office know of any leaks in Lonmin.
The last we checked, Lonmin was sending SMSes to our members.
That’s all the information we have,” he was quoted as saying.
The NUM’s Rustenburg secretary Sydwell Dokolwana told the paper that if one knew the right people, it was not impossible to compile such a list. “We know from some of our people inside Amcu that the leadership gave clear instructions that people should report their neighbours if they were going to work,” he was quoted as saying.
Men murdered last week
Lonmin spokesperson Happy Nkhoma could not confirm if any information came from its offices. “We are indeed managing a database of the responses we have received from employees. This database is being managed and accessed by a small and select number of our most trusted managers,” Nkhoma was quoted as saying.
“The trade unions do not have any access whatsoever to this database and information.”
City Press reported that the names of three men, who were murdered last week, were on the list. It said five sources, from the police, Amcu, and the NUM, confirmed the hit list was being used to send a message to those considering breaking ranks and returning to work.
Workers at Lonmin, Anglo American Platinum, and Impala Platinum have been on strike since January 23 demanding a R12 500 monthly salary. Lonmin recently approached its employees with its revised wage offer directly, bypassing Amcu, in a bid to end the strike. – Sapa