Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Another twist in textbook saga

Don’t argue with what a court has already patently decided on – that textbooks are a fundamental component of basic education and that if you don’t give every pupil the books they need, then you are violating their rights.

This is what court papers submitted last week to the Constitutional Court say in further court action on the persistent Limpopo textbook debacle.

The papers also allege that at least 9 000 textbooks remain undelivered to 11 schools in the province.

“[We] submit that it is not competent for the [basic education minister and other] applicants to reopen issues that have already been determined by the high court in the judgments of [Jody] Kollapen and which the applicants did not seek to appeal [then, in 2012],” Section27’s court papers say on behalf of nongovernmental organisation Basic Education for All (Befa).

Their answering affidavit responds to Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga’s application last month to the Constitutional Court to appeal the earlier judgment handed down in the most recent textbook court action (“Motshekga: ‘We can’t be perfect’ ”, Mail & Guardian, June 20).

Motshekga is appealing Judge Neil Tuchten’s ruling after Befa took the department to court in March for failing to provide all necessary textbooks to 39 Limpopo schools. Tuchten’s judgment said the delay in delivering textbooks to pupils was a violation of pupils’ rights (“Court rules government violated right to education”, M&G, May 7).

Government not perfect
The minister’s appeal argues that ensuring every single pupil has every single textbook amounts to a level of “perfection” that “is not the standard required from [government]”. Failure to meet that standard therefore does not mean that a pupil’s right to basic education has been violated and it is not for a court to determine what that standard should be.

But Section27 and Befa argue this appeal “is a regrettable course of action”.

It is common cause that the problem of textbook shortages at Limpopo schools has persisted since at least 2012, Section27 attorney Nikki Stein told the M&G.

Kollapen’s orders in that year “made clear that as long as there remains one learner without one book, then that learner’s right to basic education has been violated”, she said.

So it was “curious”, Befa’s papers argue, that Motshekga did not appeal those orders then. “There was already a judgment against the department on the same issues, which they did not appeal,” Stein said. “They cannot seek to do so now.”

Blame game
Motshekga’s appeal says budgetary constraints and the failure of school principals to report shortages had caused this year’s shortages and delays. But her department had taken “much more than reasonable measures” to ensure that, despite these delays, pupils’ right to basic education was realised.

Although she was addressing textbook shortages, pupils still had access to teachers, notes written on blackboards and photocopies of textbooks, she said in her papers.

But Befa’s answering affidavit says Motshekga has “misconstrued” the nature of the right to basic education.

“[T]his court has on more than one occasion affirmed that the right to basic education is not subject to progressive realisation … It is therefore not open to the applicants to contend that the test is whether they have taken reasonable measures to achieve the progressive realisation of the right. More is required of the state …”

The affidavit also notes that, on a trip to Limpopo between June 17 and 19, Section27 found that at 11 schools 9 005 textbooks were still outstanding.

Outstanding books
Befa’s Tebogo Sephakgamela told the M&G on Wednesday that “some of those schools have received their textbooks since that visit and others have not … There are still many textbooks outstanding.

“How will these schools do in their exam results?” he asked.

“Compared to other schools, they will perform badly.”

Basic education department spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga declined to comment.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and receive a 40% discount on our annual rate.

Victoria John
Victoria studied journalism, specialising in photojournalism, at Rhodes University from 2004 to 2007. After traveling around the US and a brief stint in the UK she did a year's internship at The Independent on Saturday in Durban. She then worked as a reporter for the South African Press Association for a year before joining the Mail & Guardian as an education reporter in August 2011.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Seven years’ radio silence for taxpayer-funded Rhythm FM

Almost R50-million of taxpayers’ money has been invested but the station is yet to broadcast a single show

Q&A Sessions: Zanele Mbuyisa — For the love of people-centred...

She’s worked on one of the biggest class-action cases in South Africa and she’s taken on Uber: Zanele Mbuyisa speaks to Athandiwe Saba about advocating for the underrepresented, getting ‘old’ and transformation in the law fraternity

More top stories

Finding an HIV vaccine: Five lessons from the search for...

The Covid-19 pandemic has shown that vaccine development and testing timelines can be shrunk from decades to months, but not without shortcomings

Pandemic leaves 1.4 billion learners worldwide behind on education

Human Rights Watch warns that learners may take years to recover from the damage caused by school closures

Israel-Palestine: It’s a myth that there are two equal sides...

BDS South Africa calls for the world to listen to what Israel’s actions are saying and apply full sanctions against that apartheid state

Tekkie Town’s Steinhoff fight: ‘We will get our business back’

Bernard Mostert on the ordeal of losing a business he helped build and the fight to get it back
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×