The bodies were recovered from the septic tank of a primary school in the village of Wome in southeastern Guinea, government spokesperson Albert Damantang Camara told AFP on Thursday.
“It’s very sad and hard to believe but they were killed in cold blood by the villagers,” he said, adding that he would do everything in his power to bring the perpetrators to justice.
The victims, said to include local health officials and journalists, had been missing ever since their delegation was pelted with stones during an outreach visit on Tuesday.
At least 21 people were wounded during the unrest, according to local police.
It was not immediately clear what prompted the violence, but the spread of Ebola has been accompanied by fear and paranoia by villagers who feel the government and international community cannot be trusted.
Many Guineans believe local and foreign health care workers are part of a conspiracy, which either deliberately introduced the outbreak, or invented it as a means of luring Africans to clinics to harvest their blood and organs.
‘Invention of white people‘
“The villagers violently attacked the delegation led by the governor, Lancei Conde, with stones and sticks,” police lieutenant Richard Haba told AFP earlier on Thursday.
He said the protesters thought the outreach team had come “to kill them because they think Ebola is nothing more than an invention of white people to kill black people”.
A delegation led by the Health Minister Remy Lamah travelled Wednesday to the town, in the forested region of southern Guinea at the epicentre of the outbreak, to restore calm.
The epidemic emerged in Guinea at the start of the year and has killed 600 Guineans out of a total death toll across four African nations of more than 2 600.
In August, at least 55 people were wounded in clashes between locals and security forces in the Guinean city of Nzerekore which started, according to the protesters, when an Ebola disinfection team arrived to spray a market without the traders’ knowledge. – AFP