Ferguson police, protesters clash after apology over Brown’s death

The police chief of Ferguson, Missouri has said he was sorry for mistakes his force made following the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teen last month.

Michael Brown was shot dead in Ferguson on August 9 by a white police officer, sparking nightly protests in the small town and igniting a national debate about race relations. 

“For any mistakes I have made, I take full responsibility,” Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson said in an online video on Thursday. “I am truly sorry for the loss of your son,” he added, addressing Brown’s parents. 

The college-bound teen was shot at least six times by police officer Darren Wilson and his body was left in the street for several hours before it was removed. “I’m also sorry that it took so long to remove Michael from the street,” Thomas added. “It was just too long and I’m truly sorry for that. Please know that the investigating officers meant no disrespect,” he said, adding “they were simply trying to do their jobs.” 

Police and protesters clashed briefly just hours after the the apology.

Protests
Violence rocked Ferguson – a St. Louis suburb of 21 000 with an African-American majority and an overwhelmingly white police department and town council – prompting Missouri Governor Jay Nixon to briefly call in the National Guard to quell protests. Some demonstrators complained that police used undue force against peaceful protests, which Thomas apologised for. 

“If anyone who was peacefully exercising that right is upset and angry, I feel responsible and I am sorry,” he said. “I’m also aware of the pain and the feeling of mistrust felt in some of the African-American community towards the police department,” he added. “It is clear we have much work to do.” 

In the wake of the protests, United States Attorney General Eric Holder announced on September 18 a $4.7-million dollar programme to shore up police-community relations. 

Circumstances of Brown’s death are contested, with police claiming that Brown, accused of stealing a box of cigars, was shot after a struggle with Wilson. But other witnesses say the teenager put his hands up to surrender before Wilson opened fire. Wilson has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation. – AFP, Sapa-AP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.


The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa Ap
Guest Author
Advertising

Mapisa-Nqakula ‘regrets confusion’ after contradictory statements on Khosa case

The minister’s media statement follows a letter from Khosa’s attorneys that they were considering a perjury charge or a complaint with the Public Protector

Capture claims plague new private-security bargaining council

Unhappy members of the National Bargaining Council for the Private Security Sector say corporate governance standards are being flouted

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday