Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

British teacher held hostage in Libya released

British schoolteacher David Bolam has been released after nearly five months of captivity in Libya, reportedly after payment of a ransom to his captors.

“Glad that David Bolam is safe and well after his ordeal and has been reunited with his family, who we have been supporting since he was taken,” British foreign secretary Philip Hammond wrote on Twitter.

Bolam (53) was kidnapped by militants in May in Libya’s second largest city Benghazi, much of which is under the control of militants.

Head teacher at the international school in Benghazi, he is originally from Shropshire in western England. 

An American teacher from the same school, Ronnie Smith, was shot dead during his morning jog in December 2013.

Bolam’s captors had contacted the Libyan director of the school to demand a ransom, according to a source at the establishment speaking on condition of anonymity.

The BBC reported that his release had been secured by local political factions and that money had changed hands. It said that Bolam had been flown back to Britain on Thursday.

His kidnapping had not been reported at the request of officials.

Bolam’s release follows the beheading of British aid workers David Haines and Alan Henning, among four Western hostages executed since August by Islamic State (Isis) militants.

American journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff were also executed by Isis militants operating in Syria and Iraq, with all four murders made public in videos.

‘One of the best’
The British foreign office said that since teacher Bolam was released, his family had appealed for privacy.

The SITE intelligence group – which monitors what it calls the “jihadist threat” – identified a video posted on YouTube last month of Bolam, looking dishevelled and wearing a white T-shirt, appealing for British Prime Minister David Cameron to help secure his release.

The video, apparently recorded in August, was released by a group that called itself Jeish al-Islam (Army of Islam) but SITE could not authenticate it due to a lack of information.

Libya has been sliding into chaos since long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi was toppled in an uprising three years ago, with interim authorities confronted by powerful militias that fought to oust him.

The cradle of the uprising against Gaddafi, Benghazi is now regularly the scene not only of fighting but also the murders of members of security forces, political activists and journalists.

A former teacher at Bolam’s school, Ged O’Connor Challis, told the BBC that he had spoken to Bolam on the telephone the morning he was kidnapped. 

He said Bolam had been captured while he was out shopping.

“He is single-minded and stubborn,” Challis added. “He is a very bright person. He is an English teacher – one of the best I have ever met.”

Michael Aron, Britain’s ambassador to Libya, wrote on Twitter: “Delighted Benghazi Head Teacher David Bolam has been released after over four months in captivity”. – AFP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Coko vs S ruling: The case against a subjective test...

Acting judge Tembeka Ngcukaitobi’s acquittal of a rape suspect has raised controversy, but legal experts say the fault lay with legislators and not the court

DA’s egregious sexual harassment case finally begins

The party is accused of protecting a councillor, who’s also implicated in R1.2m graft

More top stories

Lucas Radebe: ‘My football career began behind my parents’ back’

Soccer legend Lucas ‘Rhoo’ Radebe is a busy man, but he made time in his hectic schedule to speak to Ntombizodwa Makhoba about his fondest childhood memories, how his soccer career began, and, as a father of eight, his legacy

Coko vs S ruling: The case against a subjective test...

Acting judge Tembeka Ngcukaitobi’s acquittal of a rape suspect has raised controversy, but legal experts say the fault lay with legislators and not the court

Defend journalists and media freedom in Eswatini

Journalists are censored through cruel and illegitimate detention, torture and the removal of means to disseminate information to citizens crying – and dying – for it

It’s safe to open the beaches, says UPL after chemical...

Agrochemical producer UPL said it has paid R250-million in chemical spill clean-up
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×