Don't Miss This: November 7 - 13
- Return of the Ancestors is a hard-hitting satire by Mike van Graan, a throwback to the classic Woza Albert, in which Jesus returns to South Africa during apartheid. Two young actors, Mandisi Sindo and Siya Sikawuti, play various characters in this piece directed by Mdu Kweyama, who won acclaim for his direction of a version of Van Graan’s Brothers in Blood.
WHEN Until November 15.
WHERE Artscape Arena, DF Malan Street, Foreshore. COST Tickets range from R40 to R90 from Computicket, or phone 0861?915?8000 or 021?421?7695.
- David Krut Projects Cape Town, in collaboration with Ebony Cape Town, presents Printed, a selection of work produced at the David Krut Print Workshop. The artists include William Kentridge, Deborah Bell, Sam Nhlengethwa and Senzo Shabangu. The exhibition showcases the result of the generative collaborative relationship between artist and printmaker in the workshop environment. WHEN Until December 2 from 5pm to 9pm. WHERE Ebony Cape Town, 67 Loop Street. INFO Visit davidkrutprojects.com for more information.
- Catch Africa Plus, described as “an eclectic and innovative jazz trio” featuring Lungelo Ngcobo on piano, Prince Bulo on bass and Sphelelo Mazibuko on drums. It is supported by Concerts SA, a joint South African/Norwegian initiative to stimulate live music in South Africa. The trio, who draw on traditional African elements and advanced Western harmonies, have toured in the United States, Canada, Bolivia, Argentina and France, among other countries. WHEN Saturday, November 15 at 2pm. WHERE KZNSA Gallery, 166 Bulwer Road. INFO Tickets cost R60. Phone 031?201?9969 for bookings.
- The 2014 Sanlam Handmade Contemporary Fair will once again transform the rooftop of the Hyde Park Corner shopping centre into a foodie and design haven. The fair will feature more than 60 exhibitors in the design, food and wine sectors, including Lulu and Marula, Pichulik, Life Grand Café and Graham Beck wines. WHEN November 7 to 9 from 10am to 4pm. COST Tickets are R90 from webtickets.co.za. Limited tickets are available at the door for R100. INFO Visit foodwinedesign.co.za
- Afflecktion is a mixed-media production featuring puppetry and mask work, starring award-winners Daniel Buckland, Miles Petzer, Briony Horwitz and Nkosinathi Joachim Gaar, who deliver a fantastical black comedy that is at once haunting and thrilling. WHEN From November 7 to 16. WHERE State Theatre, 320 Pretorius Street, Pretoria. INFO Tickets from Computicket. For further information visit statetheatre.co.za
- STR.CRD 2014 includes a basketball tournament, a Vans street-skating competition and a Stylista streetstyle photo booth in Braamfontein. The ultimate goal of the cultural showcase, which is expected to attract thousands of music and fashion lovers, is to capture the essence of African street culture. WHEN November 7 (invitation only) from 10pm to 2am, and on November 8 for the public from 11am. WHERE Constitution Hill, 11 Kotze Street. COST Entrance is R50 for those who register online and R150 at the door. INFO Visit www.str.crd.com for full details.
- Markets are trending this year, it seems, and Pretoria is not being left behind. Because of the success of its inner city art, design, food and music market, Market@theSheds will now take place every second Saturday to accelerate the rejuvenation of the inner city. “Plans are in full swing to ensure that each market showcases impressive art and design, as well as a wide selection of mouth-watering food and good music,” says Mareli Wassenaar, the programme director of Capital Collective. WHEN November 8, November 22, December 6 and January 24. WHERE 385 Helen Joseph Street (formerly Church Street), opposite the Reserve Bank. COST R20. Children under 12 free. INFO Visit www.capitalcollective.co.za