Don't Miss This: November 14 - 20
- Cat Simoni takes you on a musical journey in her tribute to the “first lady of song” in her show Cat Sings Ella – The Ella Fitzgerald Story. WHEN November 20 WHERE Oyster Box Hotel, 2 Lighthouse Road, uMhlanga Rocks COST R350 a person includes dinner and the show. INFO To book contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 031?514?5000
- Created in 2012, CAB, featuring Caribbean jazz pianist Mario Canonge, percussionist Adriano Tenorio and Cameroonian vocalist Blick Bassy, brings together sounds from Africa and South America.
A series of workshops will accompany their concerts as well as a documentary competition that will be launched throughout Africa. WHEN and WHERE November 20 at the University of KwaZulu-Natal Jazz Centre, Durban; November 21 at The Orbit, Johannesburg; November 22 at Alliance Française, Maseru; November 24 at International Week of Civil Society, Wits Great Hall, Johannesburg, and November 27 at Straight No Chaser, Cape Town INFO Visit cab-music.com
- William Kentridge’s work will be presented in three art venues. Johannesburg Art Gallery will host The Refusal of Time, a collaboration with Philip Miller, Catherine Meyburgh, Dada Masilo and Peter Galison, first shown at Documenta in 2012. The Goodman Gallery will exhibit a series of landscape drawings made on the pages of a 1906 ledger from East Rand Proprietary Mines. Wits Art Museum will show a collection of tapestries created in conjunction with Margeurite Stephens’ weaving studio. WHEN November 19 to December 14 INFO Visit facebook.com/FriendsofJAG, goodman-gallery.com and wits.ac.za/wam
- The city of Pretoria will come alive when South Africa’s most electric night run, the Pretoria Neon Run, powered by 5FM, hits the streets. Join thousands of runners, joggers, cyclists, skateboarders and walkers all decked out in neon paraphernalia as they manoeuvre along a route of glow stations. The post-race party includes a dazzling laser light show and a line-up of some of South Africa’s top DJs and musicians, including Beatenberg, Shortstraw and Chris Taylor. WHEN Saturday, November 15 WHERE Supersport Park COST R230 per person, under-11s pay R90 and groups of four or more pay R190 each INFO Visit quicket.co.za. Gates open at 3pm and the race starts at 6.30pm. Visit neonrun.co.za
- Plakkers is an exhibition by artists and collectives working in the genre of street art in Cape Town. “The wall” is a common motif in these artists’ works, either as the site where the work is placed or as the content of the work itself. As a versatile Afrikaans word meaning stickers, decorators and squatters, Plakkers echoes this motif but also places the show within the vernacular register of everyday news headlines in which “land is invaded” and “squatters evicted”. The exhibition features works from X-Collective, Tokolos Stencils, the Burning Museum, Khaya Witbooi, Chad Rossouw, Atang Tshikare, Haroon Gunn Salie and Ashley Walters. WHEN Until December 3 WHERE Brundyn+, 170 Buitengracht Street, City Centre INFO Visit brundyn.com