Don't Miss This: November - December
- The fifth annual Maftown Heights Festival is bringing the motswako flavour to Johannesburg with a line-up packed with the best of local hip-hop acts known for their motswako sound. The motswako artists will be joined by musicians from other genres, such as kwaito and pop.
The festival’s line-up includes Khuli Chana, Cassper Nyovest, Skwatta Kamp, Thebe and DJ Dimplez.
There will also be a surprise act. WHEN November 28, 5pm-3am. WHERE Newtown Park (opposite Bassline). COST R120-R300. INFO Tickets can be purchased at Computicket. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 086?111?3872. Visit facebook.com/maftownheights
- This is the second consecutive year of the Hugh Masekela Heritage Festival, which is aimed at celebrating South Africa’s diversity. The festival will feature the legend himself, Hugh Masekela, who will be joined by Tshepo Tshola and the Soul Brothers. Beatenberg, Jeremy Loops, Laurie Levine and Josie Field are some new-school musicians who will take to the stage. WHEN November 29. WHERE Soweto Cricket Oval (Elkah Stadium), 1667 Lefatola Street, Moroka, Soweto. COST Presale R100-R150 at the gate. Children under six enter for free. INFO Tickets can be purchased at Computicket or from Shoprite Checkers stores. Go to facebook.com/HughMasekelaHeritageFestival
- Christiaan Diedericks, Colbert Mashile, Kudzi Chiurai and Wim Botha are among the 24 artists from Pretoria whose work will be on display at the Capital: Contemporary exhibition, the second in a series of three exhibitions. Works include sculptures, photographs and paintings. WHEN Until December 13. WHERE Fried Contemporary gallery, Brooklyn. INFO Call 012?346?0158 or email@example.com
- Guitarist Bheki Khoza and singer-songwriter Oliver Muller have teamed up to present the stage production Griot, which centres on the idea of storytelling and passing down knowledge to the young ones around the fire. The duo will go back in time to tell their life stories through song. WHEN November 26-30. WHERE The State Theatre. INFO Tickets sold at Computicket, visit statetheatre.co.za
- The annual Art Week Cape Town that spotlights the city’s dynamic visual art scene is back. This festival is dedicated to exposing visual art in the city centre, Langa and Gugulethu. Events include gallery openings, open studios and museum events. Artists such as Joshua Miles, Dèlio Jasse, Johann Louw, Mohau Modisakeng and Handspring Puppet Company will exhibit their work. There will be a printmaking demonstration and the public will be invited into studio spaces to interact with the artists. WHEN November 26 to December 6. WHERE Galleries, institutions and artists’ studios across Cape Town. COST Free. INFO Visit artweek.co.za or twitter.com/artweekcapetown
- Derek Gripper will perform at the opening of the installation Derek Gripper’s Cassette Locale in collaboration with the David Krut Projects. The installation is a recorded sound performance for eight guitars heard through eight randomly placed speakers. There will also be a visual art exhibition in eight fragments that relates to the installation, which was inspired by the philosophy of Masanobu Fukuoka. There is, however, a condition. The event will only be confirmed when enough fans have pledged money. A pledge is similar to buying a presale ticket. Fifty pledges are needed to make the event happen. WHEN November 28. WHERE Montebello Design Centre, 31 Newlands Avenue, Cape Town. TIME 8pm. INFO Visit citysoiree.co.za/events/Derek-gripper-cassette-locale
- The Moses Mabhida Stadium is celebrating its fifth birthday this month and as part of the festivities they have lined up musicians Simphiwe Dana, 5th Season and Thobeka Langa for the Sundowner Jazz Sessions. The activities for the birthday weekend include family fun walks and free stadium tours all day. The weekend celebrations will end off with the jazz sessions. WHEN November 23 WHERE People’s Park Café TIME 3pm – 7pm COST R150 a person INFO Tickets available at the Moses Mabhida Stadium ticket office. Visit mmstadium.com