Inquest finds Zuma’s son Duduzane was negligent

President Jacob Zuma’s son Duduzane was negligent in an accident in which a woman was killed, an inquest into the accident found on Thursday.

“This court finds that the death of the deceased Phumzile Dube was prima facie brought about by the negligent actions of suspect two, Mr Zuma,” Randburg Magistrate’s Court Magistrate Lolita Chetty said. 

“He failed to conduct himself in a reasonable manner under the circumstances.”

After Chetty read the findings and the inquest concluded, Zuma shook the hands of prosecutor Yusuf Baba, National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Nathi Mncube, and the other lawyers. Zuma, dressed in a black suit, greeted journalists as he left the courtroom, and said he would not comment.

Inquest rejects defence
Chetty went through the evidence that had been presented and said Zuma’s defence was rejected by the inquest.

Zuma chose to drive at a normal speed while it was raining, which exposed him and the vehicle to dangerous consequences. On February 1 this year, Duduzane Zuma’s car rear-ended Jabulani Vusi Dlamini’s minibus taxi on the M1 South off-ramp to Grayston Drive in Sandton. Dube was killed and three others were injured.

During the inquest, Zuma said he lost control of his Porsche after it hit a puddle in rainy conditions.

Speculation on prosecution
In July, the NPA said it declined to prosecute Zuma due to insufficient evidence.

Last month, the state and defence presented closing arguments and Chetty took two weeks do examine the documentation handed in by the legal teams. After proceedings on Thursday, Mncube said the finding did not mean Zuma had been found guilty of anything.

“We will get the transcripts of the record and then the NPA is going to consider whether it is going to institute prosecution,” he said. “There was a lot of evidence that came up that the NPA would have to study. It is not a given that prosecution will ensue henceforth.”

Mncube said he could not speculate on the NPA charging Zuma with culpable homicide. The prosecuting authority would study the findings before making a decision. – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Stella set to retain her perks

Communication minister will keep Cabinet perks during her two months of special leave

Not a sweet deal, Mister

Mister Sweet workers say they will not risk their health, and the lives of others, to continue producing and packaging confectionaries

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Press Releases

Rahima Moosa Hospital nursing college introduces no-touch facial recognition access system

The new system allows the hospital to enrol people’s faces immediately, using artificial intelligence, and integrates easily with existing access control infrastructure, including card readers and biometrics

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world