Uncertainty over ‘Tweede Nuwe Jaar’ celebrations

The City of Cape Town said on Monday it cannot guarantee that the annual minstrels carnival parade will take place next Saturday.

The city did not have the authority to approve the new date proposed by the carnival committee, said Mayor Patricia de Lille.

“The city’s events permit office received a request for consideration to change the date; however, it is subject to legal requirements,” she said in a statement.

The committee moved the event, also known as Tweede Nuwe Jaar (Second New Year), from the original date of January 3 to January 5 for religious reasons. However, it later postponed it again for “logistical reasons”.

“The parade is postponed to Saturday, January 10,” Committee President Richard Stemmet said earlier in a statement.


He said the parade could not be held on Monday, because this was the first working day of the year and buses were not available to transport people.

He said there was also no venue for VIPs.

“The area we used to host the VIPs is used for parking and the owners have indicated that it will not be available on Monday,” said Stemmet.

De Lille said in November that the city and the province had signed an agreement with the newly-formed Cape Cultural and Carnival Committee.

In discussions with the city, associations and boards allied to the Cape Town Minstrels Carnival events and competitions had indicated that they believed they were well-aligned and ready to organise the events themselves.

“They requested that the city play a supportive role, as in previous years, rather than a co-ordinating role…. It is their own doing that the event is not taking place,” said De Lille.

She said the city had already given the committee R2-million to organise the events, along with city support services valued at R1.65-million, and that the province had given the committee a total of R2.35-million.

“The responsibility rests solely with them to ensure that the events take place and that the money is used to ensure that the events take place successfully,” she said, adding that the city could not be blamed for the postponements.–Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How smuggled gold destined for Dubai or Singapore has links...

Three Malagasy citizens were apprehended at OR Tambo International airport, but now the trail is found to connect to France and Mali

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

More top stories

2020-21 NBA SEASON – AFRICAN BLOGTABLE

Joel Embiid gets the nod, and though Curry has performed well lately, there are doubts that the Warriors will prevail

Beyond the digital cold war: Technology and the future of...

Several African governments have published plans to establish smart cities, including Cairo, Johannesburg, Kigali and Nairobi. They require the most advanced technologies available

Funding a vaccine will tax our limits

VAT should not be hiked, but a once-off levy on mineral resources or a solidarity tax seems likely

‘SA can’t leave its shift to a low-carbon future to...

Innovation and creativity is crucial to guide financing, say experts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…