Suspension notice for Gauteng Hawks head withdrawn
The suspension of Gaugeng Hawks head Shadrack Sibiya has been withdrawn in the labour court in Johannesburg.
The minister of police has been ordered to pay the costs of the urgent application.
“We have been advised that [the Hawks] has withdrawn the notice placing the applicant on precautionary suspension,” said one of Sibiya’s lawyers, Naomi Manaka. His lawyers approached the court to get the reasons for his suspension, Sapa reported.
Sibiya won an urgent application on Sunday to put on hold efforts to remove him until the matter could be heard in the labour court. He was demanding that government furnish him with details of the charges against him to allow him to defend himself.
The letter does not contain sufficient information, he application said.
The letter of suspension was served on him last week while he was on leave. A court official said the two parties told the court they had come to an agreement on Wednesday morning and the matter has been withdrawn.
The withdrawal of Sibiya’s suspension was confirmed by Hawk’s spokesperson, Hangwani Mulaudzi.
“Yes, it has been withdrawn. It was withdrawn yesterday [Tuesday] by [acting Hawks head] General Berning Ntlemeza,” Mulaudzi confirmed, ahead of the matter being heard in court.
“Unfortunately, I can’t give the reasons why right now, as we still have the case at the labour court ... It’s just a formality at court. We are just following protocol and seeing the matter finalised.”
Sibiya has been accused of involvement in the legal rendition of Zimbabweans between 2010 and 2011. Senior Hawks official Colonel Leslie Maluleke was also reportedly served with a notice of suspension last week.
On December 23, Hawks boss Anwa Dramat was suspended, also over his alleged involvement in the November 2010 renditions.
Outside court, another one of Sibiya’s lawyers, Victor Nkhwashu, said the Hawks would pay the costs of the application. – Additional reporting by Sapa