SA closes consulate in Lagos after anti-xenophobia unrest

Protests were held outside the consulate and at the South African High Commission in Abuja.

South African consul general in Nigeria, Sam Monaisa, said in an email to the South African business forum in that country that the closure would remain in force until Thursday.

The situation in Durban had calmed down, but he was concerned about the Nigerians that were being repatriated, he wrote.

He said Nigerians were using social media to blow an already tense situation in South Africa out of proportion and stoking emotions.

This was why Nigerians maintained that their compatriots were being killed daily in South Africa, he said.

South Africans becoming targets
He warned the forum’s members to stay alert and not move around unnecessarily. South African businesses and citizens became targets of threats and acts of retaliation whenever xenophobic attacks occurred in South Africa, he cautioned.

Meanwhile, in Zimbabwe 15 people who were part of a first group of Zimbabweans returning home in the wake of xenophobic attacks in Durban have “disappeared” in Musina, state media reported on Tuesday.

The Herald newspaper said in an online update: “Fifteen victims disappeared in Musina where they reportedly claimed feeling safe because there were no xenophobic attacks reported.” There were no further details.

Zimbabwe is repatriating up to 2000 of its citizens who have asked to be evacuated in the wake of the attacks.

The first six buses carrying 407 Zimbabweans left Durban on Sunday.  – Netwerk24, City Press.


These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday