ANC welcomes Court dismissal of media’s case against Mbete

The Western Cape High Court’s decision to dismiss a case against Speaker of the National Assembly Baleka Mbete regarding interruption of the State of the Nation Address (Sona) broadcast earlier this year was welcomed by the ANC on Thursday.

“The Office of the ANC Chief Whip welcomes the judgment of the Western Cape High Court this morning dismissing Primedia’s case against the Speaker of the National Assembly regarding Parliament’s broadcasting policy,” said Chief Whip Phumelele Stone Sizani.

The South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef), Primedia Broadcasting, Media 24, and others filed a court application in March 2015 relating to cellphone jamming and the interruption of broadcast during the start of Sona.

According to Sizani’s office, Primedia had argued Parliament’s policy had been “unconstitutional” as parliamentary cameras had not shown “certain happenings”. This included the removal of Economic Freedom Fighters members of Parliament (MPs) from the house.

“We agree with Parliament’s contention that not only is the broadcasting policy firmly in line with the constitution, but it is also totally reasonable and in place to protect the dignity of the legislature,” said Sizani.


Sizani said Parliament respected the rights of the media as enshrined in the Constitution’s bill of rights and it would “never unduly hinder media’s operations within its precincts”. He added that it was Parliament’s duty to never condone the “chaotic and unruly conduct of a few MPs”.

“As the ANC we regret that this matter had to go court as we believe it could have been resolved amicably between the two parties,” he said. – ANA

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Come what may, the UIF will pay

The fund – the main safety net for unemployed workers – will run at an almost R20-billion deficit

‘Terrorised’ family shines a light on traditional leadership for vulnerable...

The ambiguity between traditional and constitutional leadership has been exposed by the violent banishment of an Eastern Cape family

More top stories

High court grants Dlamini-Zuma leave to appeal adverse ruling on...

The court held that the ongoing state of disaster meant there was public interest in the legal test applied to measures taken to contain the pandemic

Concourt to hear Zondo commission’s application for contempt order against...

The former president has one week to file answering papers in the application that also seeks a prison sentence imposed on him

Koko maintains he had no idea he was exchanging emails...

On his fourth appearance before the commission, the former Eskom CEO maintains he was tricked into sharing company information with a third party

Zuma foundation claims ex-president was prepared to testify, but Zondo...

Zuma’s namesake organisation twists facts and the law – he told Zondo he would answer questions but only in private to the deputy chief justice
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…