Don't Miss This: June 5 - 11
- 2006 Standard Bank Young Artist winner Sylvaine Strike and 1986 Standard Bank Young Artist winner Andrew Buckland, along with Toni Morkel, star in the production Tobacco, and the Harmful Effects Thereof. The main character, Ivan, is told to give a lecture on the harmful effects of tobacco by his wife.
Throughout the production he unpacks and explores this topic in a candid way.
WHEN Until June 13. WHERE The Baxter Theatre. TIME 7.30pm. COST R120 to R150. INFO baxter.co.za
- Multiple award-winning singer Judith Sephuma is launching her latest jazz album, One Word. This performance is part of a six-city tour that includes Durban and Bloemfontein. Sephuma, who describes the album as Afrofunk, worked with Cape Town musician Mark Goliath and songwriters from Democratic Republic of Congo and Mozambique. She also sings some of the songs in Portuguese. WHEN June 6. WHERE Cape Town Artscape. COST R250 to R350. TIME 7:30pm. TICKETS Available at Computicket. INFO artscape.co.za
- Jazz ensemble the Claude Cozens Trio promises to bring fire to the Artscape Arena with their upcoming performance. The trio, made up of pianist Kyle Shepherd, bassist Benjamin Jephta and drummer Claude Cozens, draws inspiration from genres such as fusion and hip-hop. There will be a special performance by Zoe Modiga, JitsVinger, Mark Fransman and Hilton Schilder. WHEN June 5 and June 6. WHERE Artscape Arena. TIME 7:30pm. COST R65. TICKETS Available at Computicket. INFO artscape.co.za
- KwaZulu-Natal artists in ceramics, furniture, fashion, jewellery, photography, video and visual art will show their work at the Creative Collab Durban exhibition. The exhibitors include Xavier Clarisse, the Zulu Beadwork Project, Koop Design, Astrid Dahl, Garth Walker and Sbonelo Tau Luthuli and Sanele Cele. Creative Collab, which is a first for the province, is inspired by the Design Indaba Expo that is held in Cape Town. The exhibition aims to showcase the best of KZN design. WHEN Until June 7. WHERE KZNSA Gallery, 166 Bulwer Road, Glenwood. TIMES Wednesday to Friday, 9am to 5pm; Saturday, 9am to 4pm; Sunday, 10am to 1pm. INFO kznsagallery.co.za or Facebook.com/designindabadurban
- Biko’s Quest is a stage production based on the role that anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko and the Black Consciousness Movement played in the liberation of South Africa. The 80-minute production, directed by Mandla Mbothwe, features dance, song and multi-media effects. The choreographers include Jacqueline Manyaapelo, Ina Wichterich and Mzokuthula Gasaunder. WHEN June 11 to June 19. WHERE Soweto Theatre. TIMES Tuesday to Thursday at 11am, Thursday to Saturday at 8pm, and Sunday at 3pm. COST R80. INFO Call 011??930?7461/2/3
The cast of Biko’s Quest. (Jazzart Dance Theatre)
- “Queen of Funk Soul” Chaka Khan will perform at the 2015 DStv Delicious International Food & Music Festival. The artist line-up includes Drizabone, Shakatak, The Muffinz, Louie Vega, Vusi Mahlasela, Muzart and Unathi Nkayi. The festival is in its third year and this year also promises food, street-chefs and delectable trends. There will be opportunities to meet Food Network chefs such as Reza Mahammad, Siba Mtongana, Pete Goffe Wood and Jenny Morris. WHEN June 6. WHERE Huddle Recreation Park, Club Street, Linksfield. TIME From 10am to 8:30pm. COST R450 to R3?500. TICKETS Available at ticketpros.co.za INFO deliciousfestival.com
- Fine Brandy Fusion is back with the best of local brandy producers – including cocktails and hand-crafted brandies. Each ticket includes a coupon booklet, a crystal brandy balloon and access to master classes and mixology sessions. Singer Lloyd Cele is the main act for the night. WHEN June 5. WHERE Sandton Convention Centre. TIME 5:30pm to 9:30pm. COST R195. INFO sabrandy.co.za
- The dance production Spartacus of Africa promises to be on a grand scale, featuring more than 100 dancers on stage. Created by Veronica Paeper, the show is made up of a cast of international artists such as Brooklyn Mack and Andile Ndlovu from the Washington Ballet. The Johannesburg Philharmonic Orchestra will accompany the dancers. WHEN Until June 14. WHERE Joburg Theatre. COST R150 to R375. INFO Call 011?877?6831
Brooklyn Mack as Spartacus (Adam Mcconnachie)
- Discover some of the 50 best design and food traders in the Pretoria area at the Capital Urban Market. There’ll be food, craft beer, wine and cocktail stands. WHEN June??7. WHERE Aramist Avenue, Menlyn Maine. TIME 10am to 2pm INFO marketcapital.co.za