ANC confirms Fransman being investigated for sexual harassment
A sexual harassment complaint has been laid against ANC Western Cape chairperson Marius Fransman in Rustenburg where the party is holding its 104th birthday, a spokesperson confirmed on Friday.
“We are aware of the sexual harassment charge being laid against Marius,” party spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said.
“We have been in touch with Marius to get an explanation. Of course the law must take its course.”
North West police spokesperson Sebata Mokgwabone told News24 on Friday that a case was opened and was under investigation. No one has yet been arrested.
“A case has been opened and it’s under investigation.
I can’t divulge what the case is, we will allow the investigations to continue and only once they are concluded can we determine if a person will be charged.”
Kodwa said police should be allowed to investigate the matter.
“We must reaffirm our position as the ANC in terms of respect to women. It is important to always reaffirm that position without prejudice of what happened but as a point of reference.”
He said Fransman has explained to the ANC what had happened, but the party was aware that this was only one side.
“It’s a matter under investigation. It’s one side. In any case it may be important to allow police [to investigate] so that we don’t prejudice the complainant in the case,” Kodwa said.
The ANC in the Western Cape said it would meet on Saturday to discuss the allegations made against Fransman.
Spokesperson Yonela Diko said the party did not have any details about the incident for now.
The party would release a full statement following a meeting of officials.
This is another blow for the leadership in the Western Cape.
Last month, ANC Western Cape secretary Faiez Jacobs was placed on precautionary suspension after being accused of beating up a colleague for failing to write a report on the organisation.
A disciplinary process is still underway to determine his fate. – News24