What's On: February 5 to 11
- State Theatre, 320 Pretorius Street, Pretoria. February 5: Tshwane Music Industry kicks off the Jazz & African Music Nights with a performance by pianist Andile Yenana and the band Nkgo, at 8pm.
Tickets cost R100 from Computicket.
- Straight No Chaser, 79 Buitenkant Street, Cape Town. February 5: The Buddy Wells Quintet, with its sound rooted in traditional South African folk and jazz, is on at 8:30pm and 10pm. For bookings call 076?679?2697. Facebook.com/straightnochaserclub/
- The Orbit, 81 De Korte Street, Braamfontein, Jo’burg. February??5: Pianist Nduduzo Makhathini will perform with his ensemble at 8:30pm. Tickets cost R120. February??6: The Andile Yenana Quartet will be joined on stage by saxophonist Sydney Mnisi and drummer Tumi Mogorosi at 8:30pm. Tickets cost R150. February??9: Kagiso Lediga will be back on stage for the comedy and jazz night and will share the stage with some friends and the Luyanda Madope Quartet at 8:30pm. Tickets cost R120. February 11 & 12: Born to Be Black is a show that echoes township groove and features Andile Yenana, reedman Salim Washington and percussionist Louis Moholo-Moholo. The show starts at 8pm. theorbit.co.za
- Monchhichi Restaurant, 23 Fox Street, Jo’burg. February 6: Bob Marley Birthday Celebrations featuring DJ Jun (Japan), BLK JKS Soundsystem, Solash Soundsystem, Siya and Crew, DJ Rushmore. Tickets cost R40. Doors open from 4pm.
- Kitchener’s Carvery Bar, 71 Juta Street, Jo’burg. February 7: The Jo’burg Deep Soulful Sessions line-up includes renowned house DJs Ralf GUM, QB Smith and Bubbles. Entrance is free before 8pm and R20 after that. The event runs from 2pm to 2am.
- Bag Factory Artists’ Studios, 10 Mahlathini Street, Fordsburg, Jo’burg. February 10 to March 9: In celebration of the fifth year of the Reinhold Cassirer awards, the Bag Factory is hosting an exhibition of award winners. It features new work by artists Blessing Ngobeni, Tshepo Mosopa, Asanda Kupa, Thato Nhlapo and 2015 winner Keneiliwe Mokoena.
- The KwaZulu-Natal Society of the Arts (KZNSA), Bulwer Road, Durban. February 14: The Invisible exhibition by KZNSA members brings together up-and-coming and established artists who work across various mediums, including painting, print, ceramic work, photography and mixed media installations.
- CIRCA on Jellicoe, 2 Jellicoe Ave, Jo’burg. Until February 27: Man’s Duality (Unearthed) is an exhibition
by artist Colbert Mashile that deals with the nature of humans, of man as
animal, and of the animal as man. Until February 27: Artist Antoinette
Murdoch showcases her two-dimensional work in the exhibition Gratuitous Cocking.
- Art it
is, 11 Chester Road, Parkwood Jo’burg. Until February 18: The Department of
Visual Art at the University of Johannesburg will showcase glassworks by its
students in the exhibition Thresholds
(in) between Glasses. The exhibition is curated by Thabang Monoa.
- Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre, Mazisi Kunene Road, Durban. February?11 to 14: Magician Mo Magic will showcase his favourite effects and routines from the past 14 years and will bring the magic from his SABC3 TV show, Magic with Mo, on to the stage. sneddontheatre.co.za
- The Market Theatre, Newtown, Jo’burg. Until February 28: A Raisin in the Sun. The story is set in South Side, Chicago, and is about with how people change with each generation. The play was written by Lorraine Hansberry and is directed by James Ngcobo. Tickets are R90 to R100 and are available from Computicket. markettheatre.co.za
- The Playhouse Company, 29 Anton Lembede Street, Durban. February 5: The Sundowner Concert and Poetry event, in the coffee shop, will feature Zolani Maseko & Love Thing, poets Thuli Zuma, Lady-Africa, Thubelihle Mthembu and Ntokozo Sngqazu. The concert starts at 5pm and entrance is free. playhousecompnay.com
- Baxter Theatre, Main Road, Rondebosch. February 5 and 6: Aweh Mzansi!, presented by Blu Blood and Goliath & Goliath, features six of South Africa’s most seasoned comedians, including Jason Goliath; Richelieu Beaunoir, Donovan Goliath, Nicholas Goliath, Alfred Adriaan and Glen Biderman Pam. The show starts at 8:15pm. Tickets cost R100 and are available through Computicket, at Shoprite Checkers, or call 086?1915?8000. baxter.co.za