Top quotes from the Sona debate
The two-day State of the Nation address debate has been filled with so-called fairy tales, nursery rhymes, below-the-belt punches and angry exchanges.
Here is a compilation of some of the best quotes:
- “It is not honourable, it is someone who runs a brothel.” – Congress of the People MP Deidre Carter after ANC chief whip Stone Sizani referred to her as ‘madam’.
- “On the 9th of December 2015, President Jacob Zuma pressed the red button and dropped what amounted to a nuclear bomb on the economy in South Africa.” – DA MP David Maynier on Zuma’s decision to fire Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene.
- “I would like to congratulate the minister of economic development on his appointment as ambassador to China.” – DA MP David Maynier’s response to Economic Development Minister Ebrahim Patel’s speech.
- “All Julius’s are created equally.” – Deputy Minister in the Presidency Buti Manamela on the DA’s Jacques Julius.
- “The honourable leader of the red brigade did not want to go in to see [Fikile] Mbalula because he was not prepared to compromise his boyhood and did not know what would happen to him at that point in time. Now where is the bravery in that?” – Manamela on why he does not believe EFF leader Julius Malema is brave.
- “One thing for sure I’m not a monkey and I don’t see monkeys in front of me.” – Deputy Agriculture Minister Bheki Cele.
- “One faction is made up of two or three parties with the presiding officers, and a smaller faction is trying to keep the executive accountable.” – Cope leader Mosiuoa Lekota on factions in Parliament.
- “In the Northern Cape you know what we called a juvenile delinquent? Someone who moves from ignorance to decadence without passing through civilisation. You have missed out a phase in your life.” – Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson speaking about Malema.
- “Don’t be drawn in by a juvenile delinquent, don’t compete with a juvenile delinquent. Please, we call you copycats, man.” – Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson referring to Malema.
- “They live on a planet of their own making where their leader composes fairytales full of monsters that are a figment of his imagination. He tried to use fairytales as his ‘let’s pretend I will rule one day’.” – Science and Technology Minister Naledi Pandor referring to Maimane.
- “Now I understand why they built the buses that are too big for the BRT lanes in Nelson Mandela Bay. This is to ensure that Zuma had something big enough to throw people under.” – DA chief whip John Steenhuisen.
- “Madam Speaker, Jacob Zuma is not an honourable man. Because, if he was an honourable man, he would do the honourable thing and resign.” – DA leader Mmusi Maimane.
- “They are the equivalent of snake-oil salespeople offering a quack remedy that doesn’t work.” – Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies on promises by other parties that they would fix South Africa’s economy.
- “We do not recognise him due to his incapacity, lack of direction, association with criminal elements, unaccountability.” – Malema after referring to Zuma as an illegitimate president. – News24