Khayelitsha teen rape accused appear in court
Two suspects were arrested for the rape and murder of Khayelitsha teen Sinoxolo Mafevuku on Monday.
The two are expected to appear at the Khayelitsha Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday after their arrest on Monday afternoon, spokesperson Constable Noloyiso Rwexana said.
“This afternoon a breakthrough was made into a murder and rape of a 19-year-old Sinoxolo Mafevuka. Two suspects ages 21 and 26 year old were arrested and will face charges of murder and rape,” she said on Monday.
This after police were slammed by deputy police minister Maggie Sotyu last week for their handling of the case.
The police only contacted the family for statements when the deputy minister raised concerns about the low priority given to Mafevuku’s murder.
The half-naked body of Mafevuka was found in a communal toilet in Khayelitsha more than a week ago. Her clothes were stuffed in a cistern.
Mafevuka’s mother, Nowethu, told News24 on Monday that her daughter had dreamed of growing up to help her family to improve their home.
She never talked about wanting to get married, her mother said.
“She was wonderful to me, she was my child. I never got any reports that she was anything but a good child,” she said.
Her daughter always had a smile on her face, she said, and respect for everyone in her neighbourhood.
The reward for information leading to the conviction of Mafevuka’s killers stands at R100 000, it was reported on Monday.
Meanwhile, support has been pouring in for the Mafevuka’s family.
Hundreds of people have joined a group on Facebook created to raise awareness about Mafevuka, and crime in general.
The group, called “Sinoxolo, we have peace” has been working to raise more money to secure the conviction of Mafevuka’s killers.
Mafevuka will be buried in the Eastern Cape on Saturday.
Rhodes memorial rape accused in court
The man arrested for the rape of a woman near Rhodes Memorial has previous convictions, it was confirmed in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
The 35-year-old man aces charges of rape, kidnapping and armed robbery. Police are investigating the possibility that he could be linked to other rape cases in the area. Four young students have fallen prey to a man who attacks, robs and rapes his victims before releasing them.
The National Prosecuting Authority has indicated it would be opposing bail in the case against the 35-year-old suspect, who they said had been behind bars before, did not have a fixed address and was also possibly linked to other incidents within the vicinity.
The man has requested legal aid representation.
The accused stared straight ahead as he stood in the dock, after failing to find a familiar face in the public gallery.
The suspect was arrested on Saturday at a hideout on the slopes of Table Mountain.
He faced a charge of rape in connection with an incident that occurred on November 19, 2015. A 23-year-old woman was accosted and raped at the bottom of the local landmark and robbed of her personal belongings.
The latest attack was on Tuesday when a 28-year-old woman was running along the Princess Ann cycling path in Newlands Forest. She was threatened with a knife and forced into the bushes where she was raped.
The rapist kept her captive for more than 24 hours before forcing her to walk with him to a garage. She managed to escape and was admitted to hospital.
The matter was postponed to March 18 to verify an address for a relative of the accused and a formal bail application.
He was remanded in custody. – News24 and ANA (Edited by Michelle Solomon)