To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
29 Mar 2016 15:55
A man reacts at a street memorial following Tuesday's bomb attacks in Brussels, Belgium, March 23, 2016. (Francois Lenoir/Reuters)
Faycal Cheffou, the man released after being charged
with terrorist murder over last week’s bomb attacks in Brussels, declared his innocence on Tuesday, the Belga news agency reported his
lawyer as saying.
The triple bomb attacks on Brussels’ international airport and the
Maelbeek subway station have so far claimed at least 35 lives. Almost
100 people are still in hospital, more than half of whom remained in
intensive care as of Monday.
The Islamic State extremist group claimed responsibility for the
attacks, perpetrated by three suicide bombers.
Since the attacks, Belgian police have been trying to track down a
fourth suspect who dropped off an explosive device at the airport and
Belgian media had reported that the man was Faycal Cheffou, who was
taken into custody on Thursday.
On Saturday, prosecutors said that a
man they identified as Faycal C had been charged with terrorist
murder, attempted terrorist murder and participation in the
activities of a terrorist group.
But he was released again on Monday because the clues leading to his
arrest were not backed up by evidence, the prosecution said.
He is the only person to have been charged so far in relation to the
Cheffou’s lawyer Olivier Martins said his client had declared that he
was innocent, was opposed to the Islamic State and had no link with
the terrorists involved in the attack, Belga reported Tuesday.
Martins had insisted on a verification of his client’s fingerprints,
DNA and his physiognomy, Belga wrote. Video surveillance released of
the fugitive suspect shows a man with a stockier build than the
images of Cheffou disseminated in the media.
“The formal recognition by the taxi driver sowed the seeds of the
judicial error, in my mind,” Martins said according to Belga.
Meanwhile, Indian Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj announced that
Raghavendran Ganeshan, an Indian software engineer who went missing
after the Brussels attacks, had been identified by Belgian
authorities as one of the victims.
“A young life, full of hope and promise cut short by mindless
violence. … Condolences to family of Raghavendran, who lost his
life in Brussels,” Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi wrote on
Ganeshan, 31, was working for Indian IT firm Infosys on a project in
Brussels. He is survived by his wife and a one-month-old baby.
His death comes in addition to eight other foreign nationalities
among those who lost their lives, in addition to Belgians. Other
victims came from Germany, Italy, France, Sweden, Britain, the
Netherlands, the United States and China. - DPA/ANA
Create Account | Lost Your Password?