NPA’s decision to drop Zuma charges ‘irrational’, set aside

The high court in Pretoria on Friday set aside the decision to withdraw 783 criminal charges against President Jacob Zuma on the basis that it had been irrational. 

The case against Zuma could now potentially resume.

Acting National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) head Mokotedi Mpshe dropped the criminal charges against President Jacob Zuma on the basis that the so-called spy tapes – recordings of tapped phone calls between senior officials in the Thabo Mbeki administration – suggested they manipulated the timing of Zuma’s indictment for fraud, corruption and racketeering for political reasons.

The Democratic Alliance maintained that this was not sufficient reason to withdrew the charges, and James Selfe reiterated on Thursday that his party believed that issue should instead have been aired in trial court.

“This court finds there is no substance in submissions of respondents. We find that Mr Mpshe found himself under pressure, and consequently made an irrational decision. Mr Mpshe ignored the importance of his oath of office,” Deputy Judge President Aubrey Ledwaba found.

“The DA’s application succeeds: The decision of first respondent in 2009 to discontinue prosecution is reviewed and set aside.” 

Opposition greets ruling
The DA welcomed the court’s finding, describing the judgment as an “overwhelming victory for the Rule of Law”. The party urged that the NPA follow up the ruling and continue with the charges against Zuma.

“Despite it being an absolute outrage that President Zuma has, for almost six years, used taxpayer’s money to bankroll his opposition to the release of the Spy Tapes, he will be held to account as the law and due process demand,” the DA said in a statement on its website.


“President Zuma must finally come to the realisation that he is not above the law. The NPA must, to regain respect of the people, act expeditiously and continue with the 783 charges of fraud, corruption and money-laundering against Jacob Zuma.”

Presidency acknowledges
The presidency said it has noted the decision of the high court, and will “give consideration to the judgement and its consequences”.

“The court has ordered that the decision taken by the Acting Head of the National Prosecuting Authority on 1 April 2009 to discontinue the prosecution against President Jacob Zuma should be reviewed and set aside,” it said in a statement.

“These charges were formally withdrawn by the High Court in Pietermaritzburg during April 2009 and as such there is no pending litigation before court against President Zuma.

“As a party to the proceedings, the President has noted the decision of the court and will give consideration to the judgement and its consequences and the remedies available in terms of our law.” – Additional reporting by African News Agency 

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Where is the deputy president?

David Mabuza is hard at work — it’s just not taking place in the public eye. The rumblings and discussion in the ANC are about factions in the ruling party, succession and ousting him

Zuma turns on judiciary as trial nears

Former president says pre-trial correspondence is part of another plot

High court declares Dudu Myeni delinquent

Disgraced former SAA chairperson Dudu Myeni has been declared a delinquent director by the...

SANDF inquiry clears soldiers of the death of Collins Khosa

The board of inquiry also found that it was Khosa and his brother-in-law Thabiso Muvhango who caused the altercation with the defence force members
Advertising

Press Releases

Obituary: Mohammed Tikly

His legacy will live on in the vision he shared for a brighter more socially just future, in which racism and discrimination are things of the past

Openview, now powered by two million homes

The future of free-to-air satellite TV is celebrating having two million viewers by giving away two homes worth R2-million

Road to recovery for the tourism sector: The South African perspective

The best-case scenario is that South Africa's tourism sector’s recovery will only begin in earnest towards the end of this year

What Africa can learn from Cuba in combating the Covid-19 pandemic

Africa should abandon the neoliberal path to be able to deal with Covid-19 and other health system challenges likely to emerge in future

Coexisting with Covid-19: Saving lives and the economy in India

A staggered exit from the lockdown accompanied by stepped-up testing to cover every district is necessary for India right now

Covid-19: Eased lockdown and rule of law Webinar

If you are arrested and fined in lockdown, you do get a criminal record if you pay the admission of guilt fine

Covid-19 and Frontline Workers

Who is caring for the healthcare workers? 'Working together is how we are going to get through this. It’s not just a marathon, it’s a relay'.

PPS webinar Part 2: Small business, big risk

The risks that businesses face and how they can be dealt with are something all business owners should be well acquainted with

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday