$290m shortfall in Zimbabwe drought aid

The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) said on Monday that up to 4.5 million people, half of Zimbabwe’s drought-stricken rural population, will need aid by next March as the agency seeks to plug a funding gap of $290 million for assistance. 

An El Niño-induced drought has hit Southern Africa and cut the output of the staple maize crop. In March this year, the government said four million Zimbabweans required food aid, almost 30% of the population. 

UNDP resident co-ordinator Bishow Parajuli told reporters the agency had raised $70 million since President Robert Mugabe’s government made a plea for aid in February, leaving the $290 million funding gap. 

“We project the people in need will increase […] to approximately 4.5 million or 49 percent of the rural population during the peak of the lean season from January to March 2017,” said Parajuli. 

UN World Food Programme country director Eddie Rowe said Zimbabwe’s 2016 maize production forecast would fall below 60% of the five-year average. 

Zimbabwe’s average harvest in the last five years has been between 700 000 and one million tonnes, against annual consumption of between 1.6 million and 1.8 million tonnes, he said. 

The International Monetary Fund said last week Zimbabwe’s economic difficulties had deepened after drought cut agriculture production and disrupted power generation. 

– Reuters

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

US conduct regarding Taiwan evinces a dangerous and ignorant strain...

It underestimates the role of face-saving, which is central to Chinese culture, and the country’s priorities, such as attaining the Chinese Dream

Eskom: Stage two load-shedding tonight

Continued blackouts highly likely on Wednesday and Thursday, the energy entity added

MPs dismiss Mkhwebane’s call to subpoena Ramaphosa

The president’s evidence is not necessary to determine whether she is guilty of misconduct, the section 194 committee concludes

Marikana: There should have been disciplinary proceeding, says Ian Farlam

The chair of the commission of inquiry says a personal apology from Cyril Ramaphosa would help families of the dead to heal
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×