What do early childhood developers do?
• Look after and teach children under the age of six — mainly through play and stories
• Stimulate growth and development in all areas of the child’s life
• Understand and apply how and why children grow, learn and change
• Teach children the basics of language
What do primary school teachers do?
· Teach children from grade R to four (foundation phase) and from grades four to seven (intermediate phase)
· Stimulate growth and development in all areas of children’s lives
· Understand and apply how and why children grow, learn and change
· Plan and organise educational activities
· Assign and correct homework
· Assess how much children have learnt
· Help children to understand and process emotions and experiences
· Maintain discipline and a learning environment in the class
· Take responsibility for extracurricular activities, such as sport coaching
What do high school & FET teachers do?
• Teach children from Grade 8 to 12
• Teach learners at further education and training (FET) colleges
• Stimulate growth and development in all areas of high school children’s lives
• Assess how much teenagers and young adults have learnt
• Maintain discipline and an environment conducive to learning
• Help teenagers and young adults to understand and process emotions and experiences
• Take responsibility for extracurricular activities, such as sport coaching
What skills do I need?
- Interest in teaching children
- Ability to work with children
- A positive outlook
- Problem-solving skills
- Physical health
What subjects do I need?
· Two languages, one on home language level
· School subject you want to teach
· A vernacular language at home or first additional language level
· Natural science
· Life sciences
· Business studies
· Life orientation
· Visual arts
What are my career options?
- Early Childhood Development Education
- Grade eight to 12 teacher
- Deputy principal
- Teacher’s assistant
- School administrator
- Intervention co-ordinator
- Child psychologist
- Social worker
What qualifications are there?
· Bachelor of Education (BEd) in early childhood development and foundation phase
· Diploma in Grade R teaching
· BEd (Honours) in educational psychology
· Bachelor of Arts (early childhood and youth)
· Postgraduate certificate in education (ECD & foundation phase) — if you have another degree already
Department of Basic Education Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme www.funzalushaka.doe.gov.za. .