VACANCY: Mid-level to senior journalist looking for the thrill of the news chase
The Mail & Guardian is re-positioning itself and we are on the hunt for new reporting talent. Do you have at least five years’ experience as a journalist at a regional or national newspaper? Do you love the thrill of chasing a breaking story that gets everyone talking? And what about the slow, in-depth grind of an investigation that can shape public opinion?
If you’re excited by all of the above, get your application ready and send it through to us for this reporting job on offer. You’ll get to work for South Africa’s premier investigative and political news publication as we envision new directions and growth – all while teaming up with some of South Africa’s best journalists.
Closing date for applications:
22 July 2016
- Maintain strong networks and contacts
- Keep up to date with developments and actively pursue news breaks
- Produce two strong pieces for the Mail & Guardian print edition, as well as content for our online platforms once a week
- Write at least one lead potential piece once a month
- Deliver a compelling diary of stories once a week
- Contribute to special editorial projects and editions as needed
- Contribute to multimedia and social media projects as needed
Required skills and experience
- Knowledge of media law and ethics
- First-class English language skills
- A firm grasp of current affairs, particularly nationally
- A thorough understanding of the Mail & Guardian news brand
- Strong organisational skills
- A strong network of contacts
Characteristics and competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Exceptional planning and implementation skills
- Ability to work accurately under pressure
- Able to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical ability
Required qualifications: A degree in journalism or similar qualification
Remuneration: Negotiable depending on experience
The appointment will be made in line with the M&G Media Ltd Employment Equity Policy and the remuneration will commensurate with the position. Applicants must be based in Johannesburg unless otherwise stipulated.
Applications should be addressed to Agness Jura-Ganje and emailed to [email protected].