M&G Africa editor: Apply now
The Mail & Guardian is re-positioning our M&G Africa publication and we’re looking for the perfect editor to take this part of our business to new heights. The M&G Africa editor will report to the M&G editor-in-chief, and be responsible for managing writers across the continent, helping to create compelling, niche content and growing the site’s traffic.
You will need to:
- Have at least 10 years’ working experience
- Have worked as either a reporter or an editor on broader African-focused issues
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of news, politics, business and developmental issues across the continent
- Have preferably worked for a chunk of your working life, if not most of it, somewhere on the continent outside of South Africa
- Hold a graduate degree
- Be willing to travel where necessary across the continent
Please note that the job is Johannesburg-based, but we will gladly consider non-South Africans for the position and assist where possible with moving costs.
Your key performance areas will include:
- Growing the traffic and engagement for mgafrica.com
- Driving the process of putting together a team of strong reporters and stringers across the continent
- Implementing the unique editorial vision for the site and ensuring it stands out from other pan-African publications
- Commissioning and editing quality unique content in keeping with our editorial vision
- Managing relevant wire services and making use of these where necessary
- Driving a robust multimedia and social media strategy, including ensuring the site and social media platforms have videos and podcasts from our reporters across the continent
- Working closely with the South African M&G team to cross-promote relevant content
- Work closely with the M&G commercial and events team and assist them in ensuring the site’s commercial viability
- Closely manage and stay within your budget
The appointment will be done in line with the M&G Media Ltd Employment Equity Policy and the remuneration will be commensurate with the position.
Applicants must be based in or willing to relocate to Johannesburg.
Closing date for applications is July 28 2016.
Applications should be addressed to Agness Jura-Ganje.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org