Do you have what it takes to be the Mail & Guardian’s deputy editor? Apply now
The Mail & Guardian has gone from strength to strength over the past year, with dramatic increases in year-on-year circulation and a recruitment drive that has put a strong editorial team in place. We are now looking for the right deputy editor to join our newsroom and help lead this beloved title as it braves new frontiers in a time of change for newsrooms.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience at a senior level at a national publication and preferably a strong background in political reporting.
However, we are open to candidates with something different to offer too.
The deputy editor will oversee the hard news aspects of the publication across platforms, while lending key expertise to the digital aspects of the business.
- Deputise for the editor in the event of her absence.
- Help lead the process of putting together the best possible newspaper on a weekly basis
- Assist the news editor in the commissioning and processing of articles
- Attend functions, events and meetings on behalf of the editor at her request.
- Represent the Mail & Guardian in public for and through the broadcast media from time to time.
- Play an editorial oversight role in the M&G’s digital products.
- Write a regular political analysis column.
- Continue to contribute reporting and analysis, combining a journalistic role with a leadership role in the newsroom.
- Assist the political editor overseeing the political diary and political staff and ensure that they produce regular newsbreaks that are capable of leading the paper and the website, as well as in-depth analysis, profiles and behind the scene reportage.
- Mentor young journalists in the newsroom, monitor their work and provide guidance to the editor on questions of their performance and development.
- Assist the editor in building relationships with important players in the political and government community, and generally to act as a senior ambassador for the M&G.
- Excellent knowledge of media law and ethics
- Senior editorial experience at a national title
- A thorough understanding of the M&G news brand
- A degree in Journalism or similar qualification
The appointment will be done in line with the M&G Media Ltd Employment Equity Policy and the remuneration will commensurate with the position. Applicants must be based in Johannesburg.
Applications should be addressed to Agness Jura-Ganje.
Email address: [email protected]
Deadline for applications: 31 August 2016