Jeff Radebe distances Cabinet from Zwane’s comment on probe into financial institutions

“I was as surprised as you are when I saw this morning’s statement.”

This was the reaction of Jeff Radebe, Minister in the Presidency responsible for Monitoring and Planning, at a Cabinet media briefing on Thursday.

Radebe was asked to give his view on Mineral Resources Minister Mosebenzi Zwane’s insistence that he had Cabinet’s backing when he issued a statement about a bank probe on September 1 this year.

City Press reported that Zwane maintained that the statement about a possible investigation into the banks that broke ties with the Gupta family was not sent out by him alone, but in his capacity as chairperson of the inter-ministerial committee.

Zwane claimed that Cabinet established a committee to consider allegations that certain banks and other financial institutions colluded when they closed the Guptas’ bank accounts and terminated business relationships with the family.

In response to a question posed by the DA’s David Maynier about whether he had authorisation to issue the statement, Zwane insisted that recommendations had been made to Cabinet by the inter-ministerial committee.

“The minister was not speaking in his personal capacity but in his capacity as chairperson of the inter-ministerial committee.”

Zwane’s utterances fly in the face of a statement issued by the presidency earlier this month, distancing itself from Zwane’s claims that a judicial inquiry would be established to investigate banks.

The presidency said at the time that Zwane’s comments in the original statement was “issued in his personal capacity and not on behalf of the task team or Cabinet”.

Radebe said at the media briefing that, although Zwane was present at Wednesday’s Cabinet meeting, his controversial statement was not part of the agenda.


“I myself only became aware of his answer this morning,” Radebe said.

“I want to re-iterate the statement issued by the Presidency after Minister Zwane’s statement on September 1. Those were his personal views and not that of the inter-ministerial committee or Cabinet. It is impossible that Cabinet could have seen the statement (beforehand). We saw it in the media.” — Fin24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Liesl Peyper
Liesl Peyper works from Cape Town, South Africa. Financial journalist at Rapport Liesl Peyper has over 610 followers on Twitter.
Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday