Icasa lays charges against SABC over ‘protest policy’

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) has laid criminal charges against the SABC for failing to adhere to a ruling it made regarding the withdrawal of its “protest policy”, MPs heard on Wednesday.

The broadcaster appeared to have reneged on its agreement to abide by the order to withdraw its decision not to air footage of violent protests, Icasa representative Nomvuyiso Batyi told Parliament’s ad hoc committee looking into the SABC board.

On May 26, the broadcaster banned the airing of footage of violent protests on its television stations. Icasa held public hearings and, on July 11, instructed the SABC to reverse its decision.

Batyi said the SABC never provided any proof of its withdrawal of the policy, despite agreeing to abide by Icasa’s order on July 20.

“As you can imagine, the authority was faced with a dilemma, that here is an entity that advised it would abide by its decision,” she told MPs.


“But later on, we were informed the SABC has never actually canned any programming.”

She said they followed up with the attorneys of the eight SABC journalists who were fired, and then rehired, for speaking out against the policy. The attorneys said none of them had received formal notification that the “protest policy” had been withdrawn.

“They responded and said a culture of censorship and fear continues in the SABC newsroom,” Batyi said.

Icasa approached the organisations which originally complained about the protest policy: the Save Our SABC coalition, the Freedom of Expression Institute and Media Monitoring Africa. They were still collecting information in order to respond.

“Because the SABC has failed to comply with Section 17 of the Icasa Act, as of November 29, we laid criminal charges against the SABC with the South African Police Service in Bramley.”

On July 20, the high court in Pretoria interdicted the SABC from implementing its protest policy, following an application by the Helen Suzman Foundation. – News24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Paul Herman
Paul Herman works from London. London based Songwriter/Producer. Paul has written songs for Artists like Dido, Emeli Sande, Corinne Bailey Rae, Eminem, Izzy Bizu, Raleigh Ritchie... Paul Herman has over 260 followers on Twitter.
Advertising

Sassa disses disability grant applicants

Towards the end of level four of the lockdown, Sassa offices reopened for applications for old age pensions and childcare and foster care grants, but not for disability grants

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday