Australia, Malaysia, China halt MH370 underwater search

The deep-sea hunt for missing flight MH370 has been suspended after nearly three years without result, the Australian, Malaysian and Chinese governments said Tuesday.

The Malaysia Airlines aircraft disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8 2014, carrying 239 passengers and crew.

The plane “has not been located” in the 120 000 square kilometres search area of the southern Indian Ocean, a statement from the three nations said.

“Despite every effort using the best science available, cutting-edge technology, as well as modelling and advice from highly skilled professionals who are the best in their field, unfortunately, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft,” the statement added.

“Accordingly, the underwater search for MH370 has been suspended.”


The governments said the suspension, which was flagged by Malaysia earlier this month, was not “taken lightly nor without sadness” but that “to date no new information has been discovered to determine the specific location of the aircraft”.

“We remain hopeful that new information will come to light and that at some point in the future the aircraft will be located.”

Investigators have so far confirmed that three pieces of debris washed up and recovered on western Indian Ocean shorelines came from MH370.

Other pieces recovered mostly on western Indian Ocean shorelines have been identified as likely, though not definitely, from MH370.

New analysis by Australian and international experts released in December concluded MH370 was not in the search zone – a long stretch of water within the so-called seventh arc where the plane was calculated to have emitted a final satellite “handshake” – and might be further north.

They identified an area of approximately 25 000 square kilometres with the highest probability of containing wreckage, but Australia and Malaysia said the report did not constitute a strong enough lead to extend the search.

Next-of-kin association Voice370 said it was “dismayed” with the search’s suspension and called on authorities to extend the hunt.

“In our view, extending the search to the new area defined by the experts is an inescapable duty owed to the flying public in the interest of aviation safety,” Voice370 said in a statement.

“Commercial planes cannot just be allowed to disappear without a trace.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Expert behind new MH370 search hopeful of find within a month

The search relies on a multitude of evidence and analysis that has allowed scientists over the past four years to zero in on likely crash sites.

MH370 debris found: Will it solve the mystery of how the flight vanished?

Officials have confirmed that a wing fragment found last month belonged to MH370. What does it mean for the continuing search for the missing plane?

Malaysia Airlines cans ‘bucket list’ ad campaign

A campaign aimed at reviving Malaysia Airlines after deadly plane crashes has been changed after criticism over its ill-conceived name.

Ukraine rebels hand over Malaysian plane’s black boxes

Ukrainian territory separatist leader Aleksander Borodai has given the black boxes of the plane that downed in the area to Malaysian authorities.

Malaysia plane crash: France threatens Russia with ‘consequences’

​France has warned Russia that there would be "consequences" if Moscow did not allow rescuers total access to the site of the Malaysia Airlines crash.

‘One last chance’ for Russia to cooperate over flight MH17

Ukraine's government said it had evidence that the missile battery that brought down a Malaysian airliner was manned by three Russian citizens.
Advertising

Subscribers only

The shame of 40 000 missing education certificates

Graduates are being left in the lurch by a higher education department that is simply unable to deliver the crucial certificates proving their qualifications - in some cases dating back to 1992

The living nightmare of environmental activists who protest mine expansion

Last week Fikile Ntshangase was gunned down as activists fight mining company Tendele’s expansions. Community members tell the M&G about the ‘kill lists’ and the dread they live with every day

More top stories

Fifteen witnesses for vice-chancellor probe

Sefako Makgatho University vice-chancellor Professor Peter Mbati had interdicted parliament last month from continuing with the inquiry

Constitutional Court ruling on restructuring dispute is good for employers

A judgment from the apex court empowers employers to change their workers’ contracts — without consultation

Audi Q8: Perfectly cool

The Audi Q8 is designed to be the king in the elite SUV class. But is it a victim of its own success?

KZN officials cash in on ‘danger pay for Covid-19’

Leadership failures at Umdoni local municipality in KwaZulu-Natal have caused a ‘very unhappy’ ANC PEC to fire the mayor and chief whip
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday