Ntlemeza heads to SCA to appeal ruling on his appointment

Former Hawks head Berning Ntlemeza will be approaching the Supreme Court of Appeal to challenge the judgment which found his appointment invalid.

Ntlemeza’s lawyer, Comfort Ngidi, said they were preparing papers which they would be submitting to the SCA before Thursday.

“We have already appointed an attorney to prepare our papers to the SCA,” said Ngidi.

The High Court in Pretoria last week dismissed Ntlemeza’s leave to appeal a previous order of the court that set aside his appointment.

In March, the court found that then police minister Nathi Nhleko had ignored two court judgments, which found that Ntlemeza lacked integrity and honesty, when he appointed him as head of the elite police unit.

The court found that the findings in both judgments constituted “direct evidence” that Ntlemeza lacked the requisite honesty, integrity, and conscientiousness to hold public office.

Ngidi said the process started on Tuesday, shortly after they received reasons for the ruling which dismissed their application for leave to appeal.

He said, according to the Superior Courts Act 10 of 2013 – Section 18, the execution of a decision which is the subject of an appeal is suspended pending the decision of an appeal.

“This means that the decision that he must immediately vacate his office is suspended and he has a right to report back to duty,” Ngidi said.

Ntlemeza had been expected to report back for duty after his leave expired on Monday. This despite warnings by the minister of police Fikile Mbalula that the law would be executed if Ntlemeza returned.


“The general will be reporting for duty and if he is disturbed from doing so, we will have to deal with whomever is stopping our client from exercising the rule of law,” Ngidi told News24.

Mbalula replaced Ntlemeza with Lieutenant-General Yolisa Matakata as the acting head of Hawks. – News24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Lizeka Tandwa
Lizeka Tandwa
Lizeka Tandwa Associate Leturer and Co-ordinator of the Honors Programme.
Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday