Joshua defeats Klitschko in thrilling world heavyweight epic

Britain’s Anthony Joshua defeated veteran Ukrainian Wladimir Klitschko in a world heavyweight title fight epic in front of 90 000 people at Wembley on Saturday, taking victory on an 11th round stoppage.

Joshua added the World Boxing Association (WBA) title to his International Boxing Federation (IBF) belt but only after being knocked to the canvas by the 41-year-old Klitschko in the sixth round.

The Ukrainian was also sent crashing to the floor in the fifth round and twice more in the pivotal 11th as the 27-year-old British fighter took his record to 19 wins in 19 fights.

“What can I say? 19-0, three and a half years in the game. As I said, I’m not perfect but I’m trying and if you don’t take part you’re going to fail,” said Joshua who was put on the canvas for the first time in his career.

“As boxing states, you leave your ego at the door and you respect your opponent. So a massive shoutout to Wladimir Klitschko.”


A third defence of his IBF world heavyweight title also earned Joshua the vacant WBA belt as he became the first British heavyweight since Lennox Lewis in 2002 to hold two versions of the world title.

It was Klitschko’s first stoppage defeat since Lamon Brewster beat him in 2004 and leaves his record at 64 wins and five defeats.

“The best man won tonight and it’s a massive event for boxing,” Klitschko told Sky Sports.

“Two gentleman fought each other. Anthony was better today. It’s really sad I didn’t make it tonight.”

Klitschko was trying to reclaim two of the three belts he lost to Joshua’s fellow Briton Tyson Fury by an upset on points in November 2015.

The Ukrainian had not fought since then after Fury twice pulled out of rematches and entered the ring as the underdog.

It was Joshua, after 18 straight knockouts as a professional, who was the 1/2 betting favourite and he smiled as he walked to the ring in front of Britain’s largest boxing attendance since 1939.

Klitschko could not establish his jab in the first round and it was Joshua who landed more punches, with the best being a left hook in the opening minute.

The 27-year-old began the second confidently and repeatedly found Klitschko with his jab.

The Briton missed with a big overhand right at the start of the third round but then connected with a big sledgehammer of a left hand.

After a telling off in the corner, Klitschko began the fourth full of intent and landed a couple of right hands.

But it was Joshua who started quicker in a thunderous fifth round.

The Briton wobbled Klitschko with a left before landing a series of clubbing blows, including a cracking right uppercut, which sent the Ukrainian to the canvas.

Klitschko got up but was on unsteady legs and began swinging wildly.

But the fight turned again later in the fifth when Joshua suddenly became static on the ropes after punching himself out.

Klitschko seized his moment and began to land flush as he took control of the unpredictable encounter.

In the sixth, Joshua’s early confidence had evaporated and he dropped to the canvas after being stunned by a right hand to the temple.

He was up at eight and immediately had to duck a big left from Klitschko before surviving the round.

Both fancied they could stop each other and in the latter rounds looked for the big shot.

And it was Joshua who landed it in the 11th. The champion uncorked a sweet right uppercut to snap back Klitschko’s head, followed by another right to send his opponent to the canvas.

Klitschko courageously got up but was nailed by another right and another right uppercut which dumped him back on the canvas.

Klitschko got up from the second knockdown in the round but when Joshua started to pile on the pressure referee David Fields stepped in to stop it. 

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

China moves Olympic qualifiers from the coronavirus epicentre

ALL OUR CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE Boxing and women’s football qualifying for the 2020 Olympics will be moved from the...

AJ vs Ruiz: Searching for nuance

The Clash of the Dunes is one of the most anticipated bouts in recent memory but something feels off about the whole affair

Lerena doesn’t care what you think

One of South Africa's best boxers can’t stop winning and has grand ambitions in his sights

Slice of life: The fight in me

In the 11 years since I watched that MMA video, my life has been centred around fitness, boxing and mixed martial arts

Punch-drunk Proteas must come out swinging in Southampton

The Proteas, like former world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, were stunned by an opponent they thought they would easily knock out

Ruiz stuns Joshua in boxing upset

Andy Ruiz beat Anthony Joshua by KO to cause one of the biggest surprises boxing heavyweight's division has ever seen
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday