To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
22 May 2017 15:25
Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe. (Madelene Cronje, M&G)
The department of government communication and information system (GCIS) says it has no opinion on allegations that Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe sent sexual text messages to one of its employees.
Phumla Williams, acting director-general of GCIS, said the department has no response to the allegations because Siyasanga Mbambani, the photographer Radebe allegedly sexted, is on sick leave.
“With regard to the allegations, we do not have a view as Ms Mbambani is still off sick,” Williams said.
The Sunday Times yesterday reported that Mbambani had received flirtatious text messages from Radebe, which then became overtly sexual. In one message, the newspaper reports that the minister wrote: “C.l.i.t is requested” in an alleged reference to Mbamani’s clitoris.
The photographer, who works in the presidency, refused to send Radebe photos of her genitals, but the Sunday Times reports that she did send a photograph in which she is topless.
“I have never sent him pictures of my private parts,” Mbambani told the Sunday Times. “I might have been drunk and got tired of him asking for my pictures so I just sent them.”
Mbambani was previously placed on suspension following allegations of misconduct.
Earlier this year her boss, Elmond Jiyane, accused of her of wearing revealing clothing to seduce President Jacob Zuma while she photographed him at an event.
GCIS says Mbambani is no longer suspended and is continuing her duties as a photographer in the department.
The presidency did not respond to requests for comment at the time of publishing.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?