DA reaches settlement with Helen Zille to avoid legal battles ahead of 2019

Western Cape premier Helen Zille has apologised unreservedly for her controversial tweets on colonialism and escaped disciplinary action for bringing the Democratic Alliance (DA) into disrepute.

Party leader Mmusi Maimane, announced an agreement was reached between the DA’s federal executive and Zille, which will see her continue her duties as Premier but no longer participate in any DA decision making structures.

“This was not an easy decision,” Maimane said. “The alternative was to become embroiled in a protracted legal battle in the lead up to 2019 election. I have no doubt that would have done further damage to the project we have embarked on”.

READ MORE: Zille row ‘a battle for the DA’s soul’

In her apology Zille said: “I realise the wounds of history that my tweet and subsequent action have opened up. In particular I recognise that my actions were insensitive to South Africans who suffered under colonial oppression. For this I am genuinely sorry”.


Last week the party announced its decision to suspend Zille pending the outcome of her disciplinary hearing, citing concerns that she had continued to defend her colonialism statements and caused more harm to the party’s image.

Tuesday’s about turn follows threats of legal action by Zille who told the Mail & Guardian last week that she was taking legal advice on the matter.

The settlement is likely to draw harsh action from the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), which threatened to withdraw its support for the DA in Gauteng municipalities if Zille was not removed as premier.

READ MORE: Trump tweet inspires new ‘COVFEFE Act’

While Zille has agreed to step down from the DA’s federal executive, the federal council and the provincial council she says she needs to remain a member of the Provincial Caucus in order to ensure that the DA can govern effectively.

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Dineo Bendile
Dineo Bendile works from Johannesburg. Political reporter. BLACK. Dineo Bendile has over 2712 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

DA leader bought wife a car with ‘corruption’ earnings

Senior Ekurhuleni councillor Shabangu purchased a Ford SUV from an alleged R1.2-million kickback

Editorial: Desperately seeking an opposition

All the contenders are deeply flawed, losing support, or both

DA zips lip on shadowy graft case

The party has allegedly ignored reports of kickbacks and claims of sexual harassment to protect a top councillor

A litmus test for the 2021 election

In this week’s 96 by-elections, the trend was the ANC held its ground and grew, while the DA lost big, with minority parties eating into its voter base

Nought as constant as change

Dudu Myeni is out of favour, an interim leader becomes The Permanent One, and Meyiwa’s killers ‘found’

With 79% of votes, Steenhuisen is elected DA leader

It was a landslide victory for John Steenhuisen, who thanked his family and opponent Mbali Ntuli before characteristically tearing into the ANC-led government for its anti-liberal policies, numerous failures, megalomania, and rampant corruption.
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

Covid-19 info lags as cases shoot up

Vital information apps and websites are outdated as cases begin to mushroom, especially near the coast, just in time for the December holidays

DA leader bought wife a car with ‘corruption’ earnings

Senior Ekurhuleni councillor Shabangu purchased a Ford SUV from an alleged R1.2-million kickback

SAA funds may need a top-up

Industry experts predict the R10.5-billion from the treasury to rescue the airline may not be enough, but the rescue practitioners say the money is enough to ‘settle the sins of the past’

Trump’s mantra of ‘fake news’ harmed media

Viewers and readers need to trust that news outlets are accurate, balanced, fair and impartial
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…