Manana convicted on three counts of assault after pleading guilty

Former Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training Mduduzi Manana was convicted of three counts of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday afternoon after he pleaded guilty.

The matter was adjourned to November 7 for sentencing.

Earlier, a second suspect was arrested at the court after being pointed out by one of the victims.

He was taken to the Randburg Police Station.

Manana admitted assaulting two women at the Cubana nightclub in Fourways, Johannesburg.


In a cellphone recording of Manana talking to one of the victims’ brothers shortly after the assault, Manana said he had slapped the woman because she called him “gay”.

He claimed he had been “extremely provoked”.

On Wednesday morning, students from the University of Johannesburg, Fort Hare and TUT protested outside the court in support of Manana.

They held placards that read: “He is remorseful, let us forgive.”

A second one read: “Good leaders know when they are wrong.”

UJ student Brian Matyila said Manana was a young leader that they were proud of.

“He has been an inspiration of ours and when we were calling for free education, he was one of the few people who gave us a voice and listened to us,” Matyila said.

Matyila said they were “very sorry” for what had happened and that they were holding the victim in their prayers.

“This was one of the first leaders who showed remorse, to say sorry and we don’t get that a lot. He is sorry and we should listen to his remorse.”

A small group of DA supporters were also seen at the main entrance of the court.

They held placards that read: “Real men don’t hit women”.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments

Locally built ventilators ready in two weeks as Covid cases...

The companies making the non-invasive devices, which will create jobs and are cheaper than other types, include car and diving manufacturers
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday