Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Suspect arrested in NMU rape case

A 29-year-old suspect has been arrested in connection with the alleged rape and assault of two students at Nelson Mandela University. The incident was in a computer lab at the Second Avenue campus in Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth, by an intruder who gained access to the campus.

Police spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu said the man had been arrested in Govan Mbeki Avenue shortly after 15:00 on Wednesday.

Naidu said the police’s Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Investigations unit had been working around the clock since the incident and had been following up on information that had led to the man’s arrest.

CCTV footage also circulated on social media and showed a man wearing an orange sweater and light denims. In one image, he appears to be buttoning up his jeans, while in the other he can be seen leaving the computer lab, opening the door while wearing yellow latex kitchen gloves.

“The FCS unit, assisted by members of the flying squad, arrested the suspect in Govan Mbeki Avenue, in possession of the stolen computer and the victim’s cellphone,” she said.

Naidu said the man had apparently been on his way to sell the computer when he was arrested.

The suspect is expected to appear in court on Friday on charges of rape and assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Life Esidimeni inquest postponed until August 30

The lawyer for the bereaved families argued that Dr Makgabo Manamela’s requests for postponements have a negative impact on the families of the deceased who seek closure

RECAP: Mbeki tells ANC that land without compensation goes against...

‘This would be a very serious disincentive to investment,’ says Thabo Mbeki in a document arguing that the ANC should not proceed with the Constitutional amendment of section 25

More top stories

Government proclaims 27 October for local elections, but supports...

The IEC has accepted former deputy chief justice Dikgang Moseneke’s recommendation to postpone the vote to February, but still needs Constitutional Court approval to do so

ANC Free State endorses three names for Mangaung mayor

The three candidates the province has put forward are said to be Ramaphosa supporters, who will further alienate Magashule from his power base

ANC’s provincial executive committee endorses three candidates for Joburg mayor...

Sources say that the PEC gave the nod to the three names put forward by the Johannesburg regional executive committee

Covid-19 draws the bulk of health sector’s focus, at the...

Children have accounted for a relatively low number of coronavirus cases, but other facets of their healthcare and wellbeing have suffered
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×