Zuma’s fate will only be announced in “coming days”

President Jacob Zuma’s possible removal as head of state will only be announced “in the coming days” – ANC president Cyril Ramaphosa said in a statement on Wednesday.

Zuma was expected to tender his resignation on Wednesday after reports emerged he had agreed to vacate office during a meeting with Ramaphosa on Tuesday night at his residence in Cape Town.

But, Ramaphosa has extinguished any hope that such an announcement will be made within the next few hours, as previously thought.

“Last night, President Jacob Zuma and I began direct discussions on the transition and matters relating to his position as the President of the Republic,” the statement began.

“The discussions were constructive and lay the basis for a speedy resolution of the matter in the interests of the country and its people.”

“On the basis of the progress made, it was agreed to postpone a special meeting of the ANC National Executive Committee that had been scheduled for later today. This will enable President Zuma and myself to conclude our discussions and report back to our organisation and the country in the coming days,” he said.

Ramaphosa said he is aware for South Africans there is “uncertainty” regarding their head of state, and who will lead the country for the remainder of 2018. The ANC president said his discussions with Zuma will continue until a resolution is reached.

“However, I am certain that the process we have now embarked on will achieve an outcome that not only addresses these concerns, but also unites our people around the tasks that all of us must necessarily undertake to build our country. We will be able to communicate further on President Zuma’s position as President of the Republic once we have finalised all pertinent matters,” the statement read.

Speculation that Zuma’s days are numbered began to spread after the ANC top six held a meeting on Sunday evening. The National Working Committee (NWC) was then called to meet on Monday to discuss Zuma’s fate, taking a resolution that the State of Nation Address (Sona) should be postponed until Zuma resigns.

The National Executive Committee (NEC) was due to meet on Wednesday, but the meeting was postponed after Ramaphosa and Zuma’s discussion on Tuesday evening.

The NEC will now meet on February 17 and 18 and Sona is set to take place in the coming week.

Read Ramaphosa’s full statement below:

Fellow South Africans,There has been a lot of speculation and anxiety about the position of President Jacob Zuma as the head of state and government of our country.

I would like to clarify some matters in this regard.

Last night, President Jacob Zuma and I began direct discussions on the transition and matters relating to his position as the President of the Republic.

The discussions were constructive and lay the basis for a speedy resolution of the matter in the interests of the country and its people.

On the basis of the progress made, it was agreed to postpone a special meeting of the ANC National Executive Committee that had been scheduled for later today. This will enable President Zuma and myself to conclude our discussions and report back to our organisation and the country in the coming days.

I am aware that the uncertainty surrounding the position of the Head of State and Government is a cause for concern among many South Africans. This is understandable.

However, I am certain that the process we have now embarked on will achieve an outcome that not only addresses these concerns, but also unites our people around the tasks that all of us must necessarily undertake to build our country. We will be able to communicate further on President Zuma’s position as President of the Republic once we have finalised all pertinent matters.

While the current situation has necessitated the postponement until further notice of the State of the Nation Address, the work of government and Parliament will continue.

This is a challenging time for our country. Both President Zuma and myself are aware that our people want and deserve closure. The constructive process we have embarked on offers the greatest opportunity to conclude this matter without discord or division.

Throughout this process, I am guided by the principle that the interests and needs of the South African people are paramount.

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories