‘Crazy lefties are dead to me’: Aus minister pushes ahead with SA farmer plan

A senior Australian minister vowed Thursday to press on with a plan to bring white South African farmers to Australia, hitting out at criticism from “crazy lefties” who he said were “dead to me”.

Home affairs minister Peter Dutton sparked uproar last week by singling out the farmers’ need to flee “horrific circumstances” for a “civilised country”.

READ MORE: Why Australia is ‘saving’ SA’s white farmers

He is examining whether they deserve “special attention” for acceptance on refugee or humanitarian grounds, which led to South Africa hauling in Australia’s envoy to Pretoria for a dressing down and a demand that he retract the comments.

It also set off claims at home that Dutton was a racist amid fears that it signalled a return to the “White Australia” policy, referring to laws in place for seven decades from 1901 that prevented non-white immigrants settling Down Under.

Dutton, who has drawn criticism in the past for cracking down on asylum-seekers from Asia and the Middle East, is unfazed.

He insisted he was blind to skin colour and would bring in migrants based on national interest.

“It concerns me that people are being persecuted at the moment – that’s the reality – the numbers of people dying or being savagely attacked in South Africa is a reality,” he told 2GB commercial radio.

“We’re looking at ways we can help people to migrate to Australia if they’re finding themselves in that situation.”

He said the backlash “meant nothing to me”, while attacking several media outlets for their coverage.

“Some of the crazy lefties at the ABC, and on The Guardian, Huffington Post, can express concern and draw mean cartoons about me and all the rest of it,” he said.

READ MORE: Sisulu demands retraction from Australia on land redistribution comments

“They don’t realise how completely dead they are to me.”

He said he had been inundated with messages of support since.

“If people think I’m going to cower or take a backward step because of their nonsense, fabricated, fake news criticism, then they’ve got another thing coming,” he added.

Up to 500 000 white South Africans have left the country in the past 30 years, according to official statistics, with Australia ranking as the top destination. – Agence France-Presse

A note to our readers, there is no white genocide in South Africa

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Agence France Presse
Agence France Presse works from worldwide. AFP Photo's official Twitter account. Tweeting news and features from Agence France-Presse's global photo network Agence France Presse has over 120540 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Following the wildlife traffickers’ money

The illegal wildlife trade is one of the most profitable criminal enterprises worldwide, but only recently has the focus shifted to investigating its financial flows

Story of a whistleblower: ‘Baba, do you think you are...

Whistleblower Thabiso Zulu can’t explain his situation to his son, but continues to expose wrongdoing and show solidarity with others

Cele, Sitole beef continues at hearings into July’s unrest

The minister again accused the commissioner of being missing in action when the violence raged in KwaZulu-Natal

Shell gets go-ahead to proceed with seismic blasting on the...

The high court refuses to interdict seismic survey on the basis that ‘irreparable harm’ to marine species not proved
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×