Wiese sues Steinhoff

Resigned Steinhoff chairperson, Christo Wiese, has lodged a claim of R59-billion against Steinhoff International.

In a statement released on Thursday afternoon Wiese’s Titan Group, announced that it had served a summons on Steinhoff for the amount which related to investments made into the retailer in 2015 and 2016.

In one case, companies in the Titan Group subscribed for shares in Steinhoff following the acquisition of Wiese’s Pepkor Limited from the shareholders of Pepkor. “They now claim repayment of the subscription amount,” the statement said. “The second claim relates to the Titan Group’s capital injection into Steinhoff in 2016 to enable it to meet its debt obligations at the time of its acquisition of Mattress Firm in the US.”

Steinhoff, and Wiese’s, troubles began on December 5 last year when its chief executive – Markus Jooste – stepped down over an investigation into accounting fraud by German authorities.

The Steinhoff share drastically price plummeted, as did Wiese’s personal wealth given he was the largest shareholder in the company at the time.

Wiese’s claim follows hot on the heels of the Steinhoff annual general meeting in Amsterdam last week. The company told shareholders it had some €10.4-billion in debt. It’s market valuation on Thursday was just R9.5-billion.

READ MORE: Steinhoff dances to zombie drums

Speaking to Mail & Guardian, Wiese said Steinhoff could remain sustainable through a restructuring. “It is the only way,” he said.

But, in a letter accompanying the summons, Wiese’s attorneys state that he believed it is in the best interest of all stakeholders in Steinhoff that a restructuring of the group be effected on fair and equitable terms. In the statement, Wiese said the Steinhoff group owned some excellent businesses most of which Steinhoff acquired from Pepkor in 2015. “In a restructured Steinhoff, these businesses have every potential of continuing to create value for all shareholders and claimants,” the statement quoted Wiese as saying.

The letter states although the summons would be pursued, the plaintiffs were prepared to hold further steps in abeyance by agreement if discussions with a reasonable prospect of success could be arranged forthwith.

In the statement, Wiese said his group was fully prepared to work with other claimants and shareholders to ensure that Steinhoff remains and continues as a sustainable company. This would require inter alia a restructuring of its current debt. This prospect is based on the continued excellent performance of the STAR group (containing most of the original Pepkor businesses) of which Steinhoff is currently the controlling shareholder.

“Many of the other business in the Steinhoff group offer good prospects and I strongly believe every attempt possible should be made to restructure the group as expeditiously as possible,” Wiese said in the statement.

Read Steinhoff’s statement regarding Wiese’s claim.

Announcement – 26 April 2018 Wiese Claims by Kiri Rupiah on Scribd

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Test backlog skews SA’s corona stats

With thousands of samples still waiting to be processed, labs are racing to ramp up testing to help the government gain a better idea of how prevalent Covid-19 really is

M&G’s latest Covid-19 projections

Covid-19 numbers are prompting disaster declarations and dramatic action across South Africa this week. All steps should be directed by numbers

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories