ANC elects Job Mokgoro as North West premier

The ANC has confirmed that 70-year-old Tebogo Job Mokgoro is its North West premier candidate to replace Supra Mahumapelo.

Secretary general Ace Magashule made the announcement at the party’s Luthuli House headquarters in Johannesburg on Thursday.

“He is a tried and tested administrator,” Magashule said.

Mahumapelo was forced to resign in May, after weeks of violent protests calling for him to step down. The province was also placed under administration earlier this year by President Cyril Ramaphosa.

Mokgoro, who is the former director general for the province, was picked by a special national working committee meeting on Wednesday night, following weeks of division over who should fill the vacant position.


READ MORE: Supra Mahumapelo takes ‘early retirement’

Mokgoro is expected to be sworn in on Friday in the provincial legislature, which is dominated by the ANC.

While alliance partner Sanco (the South African National Civic Organisation) has welcomed the decision, describing Mokgoro as a “seasoned administrator and a man of integrity”, it has already started piling the pressure on him, ahead of an expected Cabinet reshuffle. The civic organisation said it would expect Mokgoro to appoint a non-factional executive.

“We further want to see that intervention in the reflection of the executive, to demonstrate that he does not have a political mandate from elsewhere,” Sanco’s Paul Sebegoe said.

The ANC in the province is deeply divided, with Mahumapelo’s critics arguing that the current executive is dominated by his faction which, they say, is “responsible for governance collapse in the province”.

Mokgoro’s appointment is seen as a compromise, as he is not on the ANC’s provincial executive and comes from outside of government.

“Mokgoro is a well-known seasoned administrator who brings huge experience and the current government situation suits him very well, as it is about fixing the administration. But he needs to demonstrate his impartiality through the composition of exco, to demonstrate that he is independent,” Sebegoe said. — News24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Mahlatse Mahlase
Mahlatse Mahlase works from Jozi. Group Editor-IN-Chief EWN : [email protected] Mahlatse Mahlase has over 36181 followers on Twitter.
Advertising

Sassa disses disability grant applicants

Towards the end of level four of the lockdown, Sassa offices reopened for applications for old age pensions and childcare and foster care grants, but not for disability grants

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday