Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

SAA fires CFO, CEO

Crisis hit national carrier South African Airways has fired suspended executives Musa Zwane and Phumeza Nhantsi following the findings of independent disciplinary hearing led by Nazeer Cassim SC.

The Mail and Guardian has learnt from one of the executives this evening that SAA informed them that its board had resolved to terminate their services. This follows Cassim finding both guilty of gross misconduct on three of four charges put before them.

“In the circumstances, you are hereby notified that your employment with the company is terminated with immediate effect based on the outcome of your disciplinary hearing,” said the letter signed by CEO Vuyani Jarana.

The pair had been placed on suspension for recommending to SAA’s board in 2015 that the airline get into a contract with unknown boutique financier BnP Capital to raise R15-billion to consolidate SAA’s debt in return for R256-million fee or 1.5% of the debt.

Cassim also found the two to have acted dishonestly when they recommended SAA pay BnP a R49-million cancellation fee after the airline cancelled the deal.

This was after media reports blew the whistle on the deal, which was put in place after Finance Minister instructed SAA not to do a similar deal with the Free State Development Corporation, which was concluded while BnP had lost its registration with the Financial Services Board.

Cassim said though he acknowledged the role played by former SAA Dudu Myeni, the two executives should have resisted the deal, which was R171-million more expensive than a hypothetical quote provided by an SAA staffer who believed the deal could be done cheaper than 1.5%.

In her defence Nhantsi said by the time the hypothetical quote had come before her, SAA’s board had already resolved to appoint BnP via a confined process and her own advice put fees of that nature between 2-3%.

“South Africa can do better. Ordinary South Africans expect better from the rulers of the day. We cannot afford CEOs and CFOs who look after their own interests and not that of the citizens,” Cassim said.

In his recommendation he said the pair’s dishonesty had terminated the employment relationship with SAA.

Nhantsi said she intended the appeal her termination, while Zwane, who earlier today issued an apology saying he had made a mistake, also confirmed the termination.

SAA spokesperson Tlali Tlali has confirmed the dismissals, adding, “A report with certain recommendations was presented to the SAA board of directors for consideration and the board resolved to terminate the employment of the two executives.”

“The shareholder has duly been notified of this decision.”

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Sabelo Skiti

Sabelo Skiti is an investigative journalist.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘People feel they have a stake in SAA’ — Gidon...

Interest in the beleaguered national carrier, which has received billions of rands in public funding, means criticism is inevitable

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

More top stories

ANC committed to paying staff salaries, but employees are not...

ANC staffers picketed outside Luthuli House on Tuesday after months of problems with salary payments

Kanalelo Boloetsi: Taking on Lesotho’s cellphone giants, and winning

A man who took on cellphone data regulators over out-of-bundle rates is featured in this edition of a series on human rights defenders in the SADC region

Iqbal Sharma’s brother-in-law granted bail in Free State farming case

Dinesh Patel appeared on the same charges that have seen Sharma denied bail and the prosecuting authority seek the extradition of the Gupta brothers

Two-million new J&J jabs to come within two weeks, says...

Johnson & Johnson plans to replace our two-million unusable vaccines by July. The vaccines are unsuitable for use and must be destroyed, while the country’s vaccination programme is behind schedule
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×