No evidence of ‘fake food’, but tap water is sold as spring water, Motsoaledi says

Eight months after it began, South Africa’s listeriosis outbreak — the largest the world had ever seen — is officially over. But the nation’s alleged spate of “fake food”? Well, that may have been more hype than fact, Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi revealed at a Pretoria press conference on Monday.

The foodborne bacteria, which can thrive in cold meats and unpasteurised dairy products, had claimed at least 218 lives as of July, according to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases statistics (NICD). The NICD eventually discovered the bug at 158 factories, all but nine of which were visited by health inspectors. Ultimately, more than 12 000 tons of food were recalled and destroyed, Motsoaledi said.

No cases of the illness have been reported in the last three months. But in its latest monthly disease update the NICD warns that the country will likely continue to face sporadic cases. The health department has stepped up measures to monitor the illness, re-training almost 900 health inspectors on how to prevent it and requiring all doctors to notify the department of new cases.

Motsoaledi also addressed claims circulating in the media and via Facebook and Twitter of “fake food” in the country, including fake rice, fish, beef and bread.

Allegations prompted municipal investigations, which some foreign spaza shop owners in Soweto told The Times last week were partly to blame for violent looting.


The health department has found no evidence of fake food, Motsoaledi says. But the department did find proof of counterfeit goods, including tap water sold as branded spring water and imitation Robertsons spices.

Motsoaledi asked members of the public to report instances of possible fake food to the department — and to keep samples for testing. The public can call the health department on 011 386 2003 and the National Consumer Commission on 012 428 7000.

“We are asking for diligence because ever since the saga started, no one has given us any physical [evidence of] foodstuffs — we’ve just seen pictures on social media.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Poachers in prisons tell their stories

Interviews with offenders provide insight into the structure of illegal wildlife trade networks

Covid-overflow hospital in ruins as SIU investigates

A high-level probe has begun into hundreds of millions of rand spent by the Gauteng health department to refurbish a hospital that is now seven months behind schedule – and lying empty

More top stories

The politics of the Zuma-Zondo showdown

Any move made by the Zondo commission head or by former president Jacob Zuma must be calculated, because one mistake from either side could lead to a political fallout

Museveni declared winner of disputed Uganda election

Security personnel out in force as longtime president wins sixth term and main challenger Bobi Wine alleges rigging.

Pay-TV inquiry probes the Multichoice monopoly

Africa’s largest subscription television operator says it is under threat amid the emerging popularity of global platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime

​No apology or comfort as another Marikana mother dies without...

Nomawethu Ma’Bhengu Sompeta, whose funeral will be held this weekend, was unequivocal in calling out the government for its response to the Marikana massacre
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…