To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
14 Sep 2018 00:00
The pre-owned market is vibrant at its higher end
In a bid to provide consumers with information about the best value pre-owned cars on the market, Gumtree – the online classifieds platform – will once again host its special awards this year.
The judges in the 2018 Gumtree Auto Pre-Owned Car Awards have produced their shortlists in 10 different categories and the winners will be announced on October 8 at a gala event in Johannesburg.
There are twice as many pre-owned vehicles than new ones sold each year in South Africa and Gumtree’s head of automotive, Jeff Osborne believes these awards are much needed to give focus and guidance to consumers.
“The expert judging panel evaluates two-year-old vehicles according to the real world criteria a buyer might use, as well as on sales figures provided by TransUnion. We’re acknowledging the brands which best hold their value, deliver reliable performance and carry reasonable maintenance costs.”
Osborne says that all 10 categories have been adjusted to new price bands and, in some cases, re-named to better align with the market. He reckons all the categories are very competitive and “the race is probably hottest in the entry level categories like Budget City Cars and Hatchbacks under R275000 where the greatest number of pre-owned buyers are active”.
However, Osborne emphasises that the pre-owned market is also vibrant at the higher-price end, and he, personally, is intrigued to see which, out of the BMW 240i, VW Golf 7, Audi S3, Ford Mustang 2.3 or the Nissan 370Z vehicles, offers the best value in the Performance Saloons/Hatchbacks under R615000 category.
At the inaugural awards last year, Volkswagen won three judges’ awards and Mercedes-Benz took two.
1. Renault Kwid 1.0 Dynamique;
2. Kia Picanto 1.0 LS;
3. Datsun Go 1.2 Lux (AB);
4. VW Take Up! 1.0; and
5. Tata Bolt 1.2T XMS.
1. Toyota Aygo 1.0 X-Play;
2. Toyota Etios 1.5XS Sprint;
3. VW Move Up! 1.0;
4. VW Polo Vivo GP 1.4 Trendline;
5. Renault Sandero 900T, Dynamique.
1. Toyota Corolla Sprinter;
2. Hyundai Accent 1.6GLS Fluid (A);
3. Mazda 3 1.6 Dynamic;
4. VW Jetta 1.2TSI Trendline; and
5. Honda Ballade 1.5 Elegance CVT.
1. Opel Astra 1.0T Enjoy;
2. VW Polo GP 1.2 TSI Highline (81kW);
3. Toyota Auris 1.6 XS;
4. Mazda 3 1.6 Dynamic (A); and
5. VW Golf 7 1.4 TSI Trendline.
1. Mazda CX3 2.0 Individual (A);
2. Honda HRV 1.5 Comfort CVT;
3. Ford Ecosport 1.5TDCi Titanium;
4. Renault Duster 1.5dCI | 86.60; and
5. Nissan Juke 1.5dCi Acenta +.
1. Toyota RAV4 2.0GX;
2. Kia Sportage 2.0 Ignite;
3. Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Premium;
4. Nissan X-Trail 1.6dCi XE (T32);
5. Mazda CX5 2.0 Active (A).
1. Toyota Fortuner 2.8GD-6 R/B (A);
2. Hyundai Tucson 1.6TGDi Elite DCT;
3. Toyota RAV4 2.2D VX (A);
4. Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.2 TD4 S; and
5. BMW X1 sDrive 2.0i (A) (F48).
1. Toyota Hilux 2.8GD-6 RB Raider (A);
2. Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi Wildtrak (A);
3. VW Amarok 2.0 BiTDi Highline 132kW;
4. Isuzu KB300 D-TEQ LX; and
5. Nissan Navara 2.5dCi LE.
1. Audi A4 2.0TDI S-Tronic (B9);
2. Mercedes-Benz C220 Bluetec (A);
3. BMW 330D (A) (F30);
4. VW Passat 1.8TSI Highline (DSG);
5. Mercedes-Benz E250 (A).
1. BMW 240i (A) (F22);
2. VW Golf 7 R DSG;
3. Audi S3 S-Tronic;
4. Ford Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost (A);
5. Nissan 370Z.
1. Land Rover Evoque 2.0 TD4 SE;
2. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6 V6 (A);
3. Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.2 SD4 SE;
4. Jaguar F-Pace 2.0Di4 AWD Pure;
5. Mercedes-Benz ML250 Bluetec.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?