Ramaphosa ‘applying his mind’ to Gigaba, Dlamini court bid

A notice of intent to oppose the Democratic Alliance’s application to force President Cyril Ramaphosa to remove embattled ministers Bathabile Dlamini and Malusi Gigaba has been withdrawn.

This is according to attorney Elzanne Jonker, who is acting on behalf of the DA in the matter.

The drafted notice, which had not yet been filed with high court in Pretoria was sent to Jonker by an official from the state attorney’s office, without any instruction from the president.

“They are going to withdraw it, they have until Tuesday to file opposition,” Jonker told News24 via WhatsApp.

The DA approached the courts seeking an order to declare the appointments of both ministers “unlawful, unconstitutional and invalid”.

Dlamini and Gigaba, to the dismay of many in the country, made it into Ramaphosa’s Cabinet when he took over the reins after the ANC’s national executive committee made a decision to recall former president Jacob Zuma in February.

READ MORE: Dlamini, Gigaba ‘acted dishonestly’, not fit to hold office — DA

November 13 deadline

Gigaba is currently facing numerous scandals, with growing calls for the president to give him the boot. This on the back of Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s report which found he violated the executive ethics code, the Constitution and Parliament’s code of conduct when he lied under oath.

Just last week the Constitutional Court dismissed his application for leave to appeal over a ruling by the high court that he lied under oath during a hearing into the Fireblade matter.

The highest court in the land has also made damning findings against Dlamini. In September it ordered that she was personally liable for 20% of her legal costs for the social grants saga.

It said the National Prosecuting Authority must determine whether the former social development minister should face a charge of perjury for lying under oath, for her role in the South African Social Security Agency debacle.

“We have until 13 November to file. The president is still applying his mind to the approach he would like to take,” said Ramaphosa’s spokesperson Khusela Sangoni.

“The presidency has not yet given any instruction to oppose,” she added.

The matter has been set down for March 2019. — News24

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Matshidiso Madia
Tshidi Madia
Love & Light•Journalist•decided to call myself a lover of things cause you know.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Tunisia struggles to grow more wheat as Ukraine war bites

Since the Ukraine war sent global cereal prices soaring, import-dependent Tunisia has announced a push to grow all its own durum wheat, the basis for local staples like couscous and pasta.

Democracy under serious and sustained attack from within the US

Far-right Republicans and the conservative supreme court are working on a carefully laid plan to turn the US into a repressive regime

Grilling for UK leader Boris Johnson after top ministers quit

The prime minister has faced lawmakers' questions after two of the most senior figures in his government resigned. The finance and health ministers said they could no longer tolerate the culture of scandal

Declare an ‘energy emergency’, says National Planning Commission

The commission said the goals of the National Development Plan, which it is charged with advancing, ‘cannot be achieved without energy security’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×