The Mail & Guardian is expanding its editorial team to include an additional mid-level political reporter.
The M&G is a quality, investigative, political and comment news publication, based on a culture of editorial independence and excellence. Through our journalism, we strive to promote freedom, justice and equality. We stand in solidarity with the powerless and vulnerable and we continue to strive for a more just and more compassionate South Africa.
If this speaks to you and your ideals, read on.
- Pitch, research and write news and feature stories, balancing hard facts, incontrovertible evidence, solid multi-sourcing and evocative, narrative storytelling that presents the issue in a clear, simple to follow manner.
Key performance indicators
- Produce two strong pieces for the Mail & Guardian print edition once a week, as well as content for our online platforms.
- Write at least one potential lead a month.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Maintain strong networks and contacts across and within all political parties and state structures
- Keep up to date with developments and actively pursue news breaks
- Deliver a compelling diary of stories each week
- Contribute to special editorial projects and editions as needed
- Contribute to multimedia and social media projects as needed
- Represent the M&G at various events and on media platforms
Required skills and experience
- Knowledge of media law and ethics
- First-class English language skills
- A firm grasp of current affairs on a national and international level
- A thorough understanding of the Mail & Guardian news brand
- Strong organisational skills
- A strong network of contacts
Characteristics and competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Exceptional planning and implementation skills
- Ability to work accurately under pressure
- Able to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical ability
- A Bachelor’s degree, not necessarily in journalism — a post graduate degree is preferred, but not essential.
- At least five years of journalism experience
- Experience in a senior role will be an advantage
- Knowledge of political issues — proof of reporting on such issues will be required
- Excellent English writing ability with a demonstrated ability to craft engaging stories
Remuneration: Negotiable depending on experience
How to apply: If you are interested in applying for the above position and meet the eligibility criteria, please submit your CV and covering letter through the following link — http://mg.co.za/politico
Applications close on Monday December 3, 2018 at 12pm.