NPA to provisionally withdraw charges in Estina case

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has provisionally withdrawn charges against eight individuals accused of wrongdoing in the Estina project.

The NPA says it has has been unable to obtain all the necessary information required for prosecution. It insists, however, that it can pick up the case following the completion of its investigation — denying that the case is “dead”.

“We can reinstate the prosecution once our investigation has been finalised, and all outstanding information [is] obtained,” NPA spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku told Business Day.

The high-profile case saw the arrest of Gupta nephew Varun, Oakbay chief executive Ronica Ragavan, former Sahara executive Ashu Chawla, former TNA media executive Nazeem Howa, Estina director Kamal Vasram and three Free State provincial government officials — Peter Thabethe, Sylvia Dlamini and Takisi Masiteng — in February this year.

The eight were charged with fraud, theft, conspiracy to commit fraud and theft, contravening the Public Finance Management Act, contravening the Companies Act and contravening sections of the Prevention of Organised Crime Act.

READ MORE: The state’s case against the Guptas and co.

The group was arrested in connection with the alleged theft of R250-million linked to the Estina dairy farm in the agricultural town of Vrede in the Free State.

Estina was envisioned to be a dairy farm which black farmers would have a 51% share in. The Free State government had given the farm a 99-year rent free lease and was expected to inject R500-million in the project.

READ MORE: Dairy farm puts Guptas directly in firing line

All eight were granted bail in February and the matter was postponed in August to allow for further investigations. The matter was expected to resume on December 4 at the Bloemfontein magistrate’s court.

In August, prosecutor Justice Bakamela told the court that over 300 bank statements had been obtained, but the NPA was “awaiting information from authorities in Dubai and India, pending the finalisation of mutual legal assistance agreements.”

Without this legal assistance, the NPA has had to provisionally drop the case.

The NPA has notified the Gupta family’s lawyers that the charges have been withdrawn because of outstanding legal assistance from the United Arab Emirates and India. 

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Marikana: South Africa’s dark heart

New M&G documentary explores what the events on that fateful day tell us about where we stand as a country

EFF Student Command leader Sihle Lonzi says Congress of South...

Media briefed on the resolutions and outcomes of the organisation's fourth national students assembly that took place on Friday

Hlophe goes to court to prevent his suspension

He argues in court papers that the JSC’s advice to the president to suspend him is a violation of the Superior Courts Act

South Africa’s murder rate up 11.5% in the first quarter...

In the same period 9 516 rape cases were opened with the South African Police Service
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×