Qatar to quit Saudi-dominated OPEC in 2019

Qatar will leave OPEC next month in order to focus on gas production, the Gulf state’s new Energy Minister Saad al-Kaabi announced in a surprise move on Monday.

Qatar has been a member of OPEC since 1961, and the decision to pull out after all these decades comes at a turbulent time in Gulf politics, with Doha under a boycott by former neighbouring allies including Saudi Arabia for 18 months.

“Qatar has decided to withdraw its membership from OPEC effective January 2019 and this decision was communicated to OPEC this morning,” Kaabi told a Doha press conference.

Kaabi, who also heads state-owned Qatar Petroleum, denied however that the move was linked to the feud with Saudi Arabia and its allies.

The decision was “technical and strategic” and had “nothing to do with the blockade,” he said.

Qatar would continue to produce oil and seek deals in countries including Latin America’s top oil producer Brazil, said Kaabi.

Despite the Qatari denials, some analysts saw it as a “political decision to oppose Saudi Arabia”.

Saudi Arabia, the United States and Russia are the biggest producers in OPEC “so is it really worth it to someone like Qatar to go to Vienna to meet with someone who will lead the meeting and who is your enemy?” said Thierry Bros, a researcher with the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies.

“In the end, perhaps you can do without it.”

Focus on ‘core business’

Kaabi said gas production would remain the top priority for Qatar, which is the world’s the biggest exporter of liquified natural gas (LNG).

“We don’t have great potential (in oil), we are very realistic,” said Kaabi, who described himself as “Mr Gas” during the conference. “Our potential is gas.

“I think it’s inefficient to focus on something that’s not your core business and something that’s not going to benefit you long-term.”

In September, Qatar announced it planned to boost gas production to 110 million tonnes per year by 2024.

Qatar’s oil production is around 600 000 barrels per day and it is the world’s 17th largest producer of crude oil, according to specialist website, world data.info.

It also only holds around two percent of the world’s global oil reserves, according to the CIA World Factbook.

OPEC had been informed of the decision on Monday ahead of the announcement, Kaabi said, adding he would still attend the organisation’s Vienna meeting later this week, his “first and last” as energy minister.

That meeting is expected to set a policy for 2019 and despite Qatar’s announcement, oil prices soared on Monday after Russia and Saudi Arabia renewed a pact to cap output on the sidelines of a G20 summit.

While there was no announcement on how much would be cut and for how long, the pact between the world’s two biggest crude exporters was cheered Monday by oil traders, with Brent jumping $2.60 to $62.06 and West Texas Intermediate up $2.42 to $53.35.

‘Symbolic move’

Although Qatar’s sudden move came out of the blue, analysts say it will have limited impact on the global market.

Fiona Cincotta, a senior market analyst at UK-based City Index, said Qatar had “surprised the market” but added it was another sign that “some major production decisions will be taken outside of OPEC” following the G20 summit that closed Saturday in Buenos Aires.

Amrita Sen, chief oil analyst for Energy Aspects consultants, argued the move would have limited impact.

“Quitting OPEC is largely symbolic for Qatar,” he told Bloomberg.

“Its oil production has been steady with limited prospects for increases.”

OPEC is dominated by oil-rich Saudi, which along with its allies has had no ties with Qatar since June 2017.

Relations between Riyadh and Doha are at an all-time low as a result of the crisis, which has seen Saudi-led countries accuse Qatar of supporting terrorism and being too close to Iran.

Qatar refutes the allegations and claims rivals want to overthrow its government.

But researcher Bros argued that Qatar’s departure would weaken OPEC at a moment when Riyadh is battling international outcry over the murder of journalist critic Jamal Khashoggi.

“This shows that it will become more complicated to run things (at OPEC). Those that remain are not great friends, such as Iran and Saudi Arabia,” said Bros.

Kaabi meanwhile announced Qatar would “make a big splash in the oil and gas business soon,” adding Doha would also build the Middle East’s biggest ethane cracker, an industrial facility which converts gas to by-products, such as adhesives and ethylene for plastics.

© Agence France-Presse

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Police use sjamboks and rubber bullets to enforce Hillbrow lockdown

In one of South Africa’s most densely populated suburbs, the national lockdown is being implemented with force

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

The rule of law in times of crisis: Covid-19 and...

Under a state of national disaster, some rights may be suspended. But it is critical to remember that the Constitution itself is not suspended

Test backlog skews SA’s corona stats

With thousands of samples still waiting to be processed, labs are racing to ramp up testing to help the government gain a better idea of how prevalent Covid-19 really is

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories